Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Receptacles and switches not working. Help please.

Hi all

I've searched but couldn't find something similar to my problem. I replaced 5-6 switches (some 1-pole some 3-pole) 2 days ago. I tested everything after I installed each one. Everything was working fine for about a day. Last night none of the receptacles and switches worked. The GFCI receptacle kept tripping after I press the reset button. The GFCI receptacle was working fine before. What could be the problem?

Please let me know if more info is needed. Thanks!

Learn3r

Learn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,084

C'mon; you know what to do! :-) Go back and check all of your work. It sounds like you got everything wired back in properly, but I'll bet that you will find something loose or one of your wires touching something that it shouldn't. I'd run the same sequence that you did the first time, just to be sure that you don't miss anything, but the problem is very possibly at the GFCI receptacle, as they take up a fair amount of space, and are quick to trip, so it's easy to have two wires touch, or one of them to touch the box. Also make sure that you are using the proper size wire nuts, so that they work the way that they are designed to, and that your switches and receptacles are secured such that they aren't wiggling around in their boxes. See, you knew the answer; didn't you? :-)

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
C'mon; you know what to do! :-) Go back and check all of your work. It sounds like you got everything wired back in properly, but I'll bet that you will find something loose or one of your wires touching something that it shouldn't. I'd run the same sequence that you did the first time, just to be sure that you don't miss anything, but the problem is very possibly at the GFCI receptacle, as they take up a fair amount of space, and are quick to trip, so it's easy to have two wires touch, or one of them to touch the box. Also make sure that you are using the proper size wire nuts, so that they work the way that they are designed to, and that your switches and receptacles are secured such that they aren't wiggling around in their boxes. See, you knew the answer; didn't you? :-)
Well, I checked and nothing was loose. I even left them out of the box to make sure that no two wires were touching and nothing still worked

Also, Can I not have any of the wires touching the box? What would it do? Sorry for the dumb question.

Last edited by Learn3r; 09-02-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Learn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learn3r View Post
Well, I checked and nothing was loose. I even left them out of the box to make sure that no two wires were touching and nothing still worked

Also, Can I not have any of the wires touching the box? What would it do? Sorry for the dumb question.
when you left them out of the box, did you check for incoming voltage? trace it along until you lose it.
TimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,084

Sorry; I probably should have said to be sure that no bare or exposed wires are touching any metal boxes that you may have. As Tim said, follow your incoming voltage to the point that you loose it, and start there. The issue though will be that if it drops off at the GFCI receptacle, , depending on how you have it wired, it is possible that any of your devices down line could be the culprit. Given though that it worked and suddenly didn't, I still suspect that you have a loose wire, or a long tail on one of them. Was there a previous problem that prompted you to change the devices? How old is your home, and what condition is the wiring in? Point being that you may also want to look at where the wires enter the affected boxes, to see if perhaps one had been previously damaged.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote