Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #1

Share |

Receptacle wiring question

Hello all, I have a receptacle that I took out to replace and now I can't remember how it was wired. It is a bit unusual as it has power coming from another receptacle on one side and power coming from a switch on the other side. Both cables coming into the box have hot black wires. The outlet I took out has one black pigtail to the hot side and one white pigtail to the neutral side of the outlet. Both jumper tabs are still intact.

With power coming in from both sides, I'm confused as to how to wire this outlet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Electrician

Is one of the hot wires controlled by the switch or does it get the power from the switch.

If it is unswitched both blacks go on the brass screws and the whites go onto the silver screws.

If one side is switched you will have to break the tab on the brass screws to allow the plug to be used as two seperate plugs.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Is one of the hot wires controlled by the switch or does it get the power from the switch.
Thanks for the reply! The black wire from the switch is always hot, the white wire is controlled by the switch. To further complicate the situation, I figured out that the switch actually controls my landscape lighting, so I'm thinking that it was wired in a way that "passes through" the receptacle rather than controlling it. Would I still wire the receptacle the way you describe in this situation?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
Electrician

Was this a switched outlet before?
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

The white wire should not be controlled by the switch. What color wires are attached to the switch?
Old 07-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Was this a switched outlet before?
I don't believe it was, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
The white wire should not be controlled by the switch. What color wires are attached to the switch?
Black wire at top of switch and white on bottom. Right now I have the receptacle removed and tied the white wires together and the black wires together in the box. While wired this way the switch controls the landscape lights and everything seems to be working. Is this wired incorrectly?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #8
Licensed electrician

The black and white attached to the switch indicates a switch loop. The white should be the constant hot to the switch. The black would be the switched hot back to the receptacle.

At the receptacle box a white would have been spliced to a black to feed the switch.

The re-purposed white should have been reidentified as a hot conductor with black or red electrical tape or magic marker.