Receptacle Wiring, Please Help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

receptacle wiring, please help

a while back i replaced my duplex receptacles in the kitchen and in doing so half of them work and half dont. its obvious they were wired in a daisy chain effect but here is my problem.

the first outlet on the end of the run does not work. the next two in line do (one is a GFI), the next two after that do not work and then the last one is a GFI which does.

I have two different wiring examples going on. in one junction box there is one cable and 6 wires (2 hot (black) and 2 neutral (white) with two ground). in the next box i have two cables each carrying 3 wires (2 hot (black) and 2 neutral (white) with one ground). i hooked the two hots on the brass terminals and then i hooked the two neutrals to the silver terminals.

i turned the power back on and my receptacle tester still shows no power at all. the tester i have is a plug in that lights up when all is connected correctly. right now there is nothing.

is there a specific way in which the hots/neutrals need to be wired? like one needs to be on the top terminal while the other is on the bottom or does it not matter?

if anyone could help me figure this out i would greatly appreciate it!!!!:
Attached Thumbnails
receptacle wiring, please help-wiring-001.jpg   receptacle wiring, please help-wiring-002.jpg  

Advertisement

reds_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
Electrician philosopher

Rewards Points: 500

Closely check on the side of the recp.s to be sure the little metal tag that connects the screws on the neutral side and hot side have not been broken.

Advertisement

Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #3

thanks andy. i just looked at all the receptacles and the tabs are all in tact. anything else?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in ATL View Post
Closely check on the side of the recp.s to be sure the little metal tag that connects the screws on the neutral side and hot side have not been broken.
That's what I would have thought too...Often times they are removed to make one of the two outlets a switched outlet from a light switch.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

It is possible that your hot is not even connected to the loop. Find the hot, then go down the chain, due to in a Series connection, if one leg is out, then everything down the line is dead.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #6

We stuck the volt meter to the outlet that was working and it showed 120 then I moved it to the non working outlets and it showed zero on all three. So obviously there is no power going to these receptacles. Prior to me changing these out everything worked fine.

What else can I do? We already changed outlets to newer ones thinking that maybe the newer ones were bad, but that didn't change anything.

Thank you for your help.

Reds_21
Old 10-21-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

I doubt that it is the outlets. Get a Non-Contact Volt Tester to check for which Romex is Live or not. I would not put it pass that there may be a loop somewhere, or broken Romex that is causing the headache.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
Long-Time DIYer

reds,
The black (hot) wires go to the brass screws on the receptacles, the white (neutral) go to the silver screws, and the bare grounds go to the green screws on the receptacle and to the green screw on metal boxes. As long as the tabs are in place, it doesn't matter which brass or silver screw (upper or lower) that the respective wires go to. Use the screws, not the push-in holes in the back.
You should have only one GFCI receptacle on a circuit, and it should be the first in the circuit, making all regular receptacles past it "GFCI" protected, too.
Hope this helps get you going (I am NOT a pro electrician, just an old DIYer).
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #9

Thank you for everyone's help. I will look further into this and see what I can figure out!
Old 10-21-2007, 03:33 PM   #10
Electrician philosopher

Assuming you have a continuity tester on your meter, I would find the ONE wire in the circuit that is hot... That is the wire coming from the panel. Then, with all the wires diconnected from the recp.s and the circuit turned off take the OTHER wire in the same box as the hot and twist the white and black wire together and go around to all the other boxes and find the wire using the continuity tester. Keep doing this until the whole circuit is mapped out. BE PATIENT! I have a feeling as you are doing this you will have a "light bulb" moment and figure this out. I have confidence in you and I'm relatively confident that it is something simple. Keep us posted!!
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:51 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

What are the wire nuts attached too?
Could you have the gfci's miss wired?
Did you also replace the gfci's?
From your description in the first post you said you have 1 cable and six wires. This can not be!
I think that the non-contact tester is the best route.
You may have to disconnect everything and start over.
The power must come into the gfci's first, then continue to the other outlets.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:24 PM   #12

But all the GFI rec work fine it's the duplex rec that do not work. What does this mean? I still need to do the contact method but that will later this week.

Thank you.

Reds

Advertisement