receptacle upgrading blunder - help!
Please help! - My house was built in 1987. I began replacing the old receptacles with new ones. After finishing, I noticed 3 of the receptacles went dead - 2 in the dining room and the one for the fridge. (there are only 2 receptacles in the dining room).
I should point out that when I tried to remove the receptacle in the dining room, I got a slight shock. I was suprised by this as I switched the circuit breaker for the lights and receptacles to the "off" position. After switching the Mains to off, I continued to remove the dining room outlets only to find out their wires are slightly thicker than the others. I used a drill to widen the holes on back of the new receptacles and finished installation (I think this may have been a bad idea).
After powering up, I noticed the fridge was not on. Then I checked all of the outlets and switches I upgraded. All of them were working except for the three receptacles.
I checked the circuit breaker and resetted all of the them including the main. Still nothing.
Please help - could I have shorted the circuit branch feeding these 3 outlets? Why is the fridge outlet related to the dining outlets?
Any feed back or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
The reason the wires would not fit is they are # 12 and the recepticles will only accept #14. As stated before, it is time to get an electrician in. The only way to fix this is replace what you replaced and use pigtails and not the holes.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.|
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.