Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #1

Share |

Receptacle stopped working

I was checking where the fuse was for a certain circuit the other night. So I turned off a couple of fuses and found it. The next morning, I discovered that one of the receptacles on that circuit had stopped working. I thought it might have been a coincidence that the receptacle quit working because of the power interruption, so I replaced it...and the new one is not working either. The receptacle was working before I had turned off the fuse. Would anyone have any suggestion as to what the problem might be.

oh yes, all the other things on that circuit are working fine.

lovetobuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #2

If it was a blown fuse or a tripped breaker that prompted you to start this investigation or project, then the overload may have aggravated a loose connection in the receptacle in question or at the previous receptacle or outlet box on the daisy chain back to the panel.

lovetobuild (02-11-2011)
Old 02-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #3

PHP Code:
If it was a blown fuse or a tripped breaker that prompted you to start this investigation or projectthen the overload may have aggravated a loose connection in the receptacle in question or at the previous receptacle or outlet box on the daisy chain back to the panel
Thank you AllanJ

There was no tripped breaker, I was trying to find the breaker that belonged to the circuit that I want to add a light to. But, I suppose the fact that I switched off the breaker myself might have caused the 'loose connection' to detach itself.

So, my next question would be, how can you track back from that receptacle and find the line of items on that circuit, through the walls?

I wanted to remove this post, because I did the 'quote' thing wrong but I can't find where the remove button is. newbie's what can you do with them?

Last edited by lovetobuild; 02-11-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
If it was a blown fuse or a tripped breaker that prompted you to start this investigation or project, then the overload may have aggravated a loose connection in the receptacle in question or at the previous receptacle or outlet box on the daisy chain back to the panel.

Thank you AllanJ

There was no tripped breaker, I was trying to find the breaker that belonged to the circuit that I want to add a light to. But, I suppose the fact that I switched off the breaker myself might have caused the 'loose connection' to detach itself.

So, my next question would be, how can you track back from that receptacle and find the line of items on that circuit, through the walls?