Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #1

Share |

Reasonable Estimate??? (Attached)

Hi Ė Iím in the process of planning a basement remodel. The only 2 parts that Iím not tackling myself are the electric and drywall. I recently received a quote from an electrician that my architect usually works with that I believe is on the high side. He did, however, seem very competent and I always tend to go with recommendations vs. pulling someone out of the phone book. I have no idea what is reasonable, but I did have a very other electrians come out about 2 years ago to give me rough estimates and theirs were in the 4K range. I was wondering if thereís anyone on the boards that could provide their expertise and give me an opinion whether the estimate is a good one. I live in NJ if that helps.

Two other sub-questions Ė what are your opinions about me trying to tackle at least the rough in wiring myself and do you think the amount of baseboard heating elements is too much in the estimate? I know you donít have the plans (the pdfs I have of those are too large to attach in this message board), but the space is about 900 of finished space. Iím looking at the plans the architect drew up and he has a base board in the laundry room (?) which just seems unnecessary, since itís only 50 or so sq feet. Again, Iím not an expert, but just looking for ways to save money. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sponza.pdf (62.2 KB, 103 views)

BSponz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

The estimate for the work in the estimate does not look at all high to me. The electrician is quoting based on the plan, whether the plan is overkill is up to you to decide.

What I don't like in the estimate is that the electrician is not getting the permit or calling for the inspections. That should be part of his job. Are you sure he is licensed?

Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Lic Electrical Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSponz1 View Post
Hi Ė Iím in the process of planning a basement remodel. The only 2 parts that Iím not tackling myself are the electric and drywall. I recently received a quote from an electrician that my architect usually works with that I believe is on the high side. He did, however, seem very competent and I always tend to go with recommendations vs. pulling someone out of the phone book. I have no idea what is reasonable, but I did have a very other electrians come out about 2 years ago to give me rough estimates and theirs were in the 4K range. I was wondering if thereís anyone on the boards that could provide their expertise and give me an opinion whether the estimate is a good one. I live in NJ if that helps.

Two other sub-questions Ė what are your opinions about me trying to tackle at least the rough in wiring myself and do you think the amount of baseboard heating elements is too much in the estimate? I know you donít have the plans (the pdfs I have of those are too large to attach in this message board), but the space is about 900 of finished space. Iím looking at the plans the architect drew up and he has a base board in the laundry room (?) which just seems unnecessary, since itís only 50 or so sq feet. Again, Iím not an expert, but just looking for ways to save money. Thanks!
The work you are talking about will fall under the New Jersey Rehab Subcode and the 2008 NEC. Follow the link in my signature for DIY in New Jersey.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #4

Thanks for you input. Yes, I'm certain he's licensed. Any thoughts on the need for so many heating elements?
BSponz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #5

Get three (3) quotes. Not one.
Make sure they are quoting apples to apples. Make each quote the exact job with the same materials to get the best idea. I check list would be great. Have each quote from a check list or scope of the job.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
TTW

How is the rest of your house heated? Elec heat is very pricy to operate.
TTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSponz1 View Post
what are your opinions about me trying to tackle at least the rough in wiring myself
Nobody on this forum would have any idea of your level of electrical competence.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #8

Even when you are competent, sometimes it just too many cooks spoil the broth. Or, left hand has to figure out what right hand did.

The added communication time and complications can cost you more than you are trying to save.

Leave it to the electrician.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-28-2012), TTW (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by electures View Post
The work you are talking about will fall under the New Jersey Rehab Subcode and the 2008 NEC. Follow the link in my signature for DIY in New Jersey.
2008? NJ has been on the 2011 for a while now.
Macken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Lic Electrical Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macken View Post
2008? NJ has been on the 2011 for a while now.
New Jersey has been under the 2011 NEC since the six month grace period ended on 11/7/12. However, the OP is performing work on an existing dwelling which means it falls under the ReHab subcode and the 2008 NEC.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
What I don't like in the estimate is that the electrician is not getting the permit or calling for the inspections. That should be part of his job. Are you sure he is licensed?
In some jurisdictions the GC or Homeowner must pull a permit for the entire job and list the subs--electrician and plumber --and their license info on the job permit.

It is unlikely that the city will issue separate permits for each phase on one job---
Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
In some jurisdictions the GC or Homeowner must pull a permit for the entire job and list the subs--electrician and plumber --and their license info on the job permit.

It is unlikely that the city will issue separate permits for each phase on one job---

Oh'Mike: I agree. The same applies here in SC jurisdiction as a option for homeowner, at least most parts of SC that I know. The owner can sign as his own contractor. Here you will have to file a written affidavit as the primary part of the rule stating ownership of property.

Last edited by JuzRick; 11-28-2012 at 08:37 PM.
JuzRick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JuzRick For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
Lic Electrical Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post

Here in New Jersey if the work only involves a single trade such as electrical then the EC may handle the entire permit application. When more then one trade is involved then the homeowner or GC may handle the application. In which case the EC just completes the electrical subcode tech section and hands it over to the HO or GC who then turns it in to the COnstruction Office along with all the other tech sections.

The Following User Says Thank You to electures For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-28-2012)