Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Re-wiring Kitchen Ceiling Fixture

I wanted to replace the light fixture in my kitchen, but when I pulled the old fixture off I found the old wiring to be crumbling. Whoever installed the last fixture took it upon himself to just wrap the wire in electrical tape to cover up the exposed portions. Attached are pictures of what it looks like now.

It is a 1940 home. The cable appears to be BX, but I don't think there's a bonding strip. As far as I can tell the wiring is only to lights, not receptacles. The attic is wide open.

The ceiling junction box has three cables entering it. Two 2-wire and one 3-wire.

My question: How can I replace the wiring at this junction without ripping out all of the BX throughout this circuit? Can I simply cut the armored cables back to a distance that exposes adequately protected wire then put it all back together in a new junction box joined to NM cable that feeds into the ceiling box? I hope that made sense. I appreciate any help and if you need more information, please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Re-wiring Kitchen Ceiling Fixture-img_6010.jpg   Re-wiring Kitchen Ceiling Fixture-img_6009.jpg   Re-wiring Kitchen Ceiling Fixture-img_6008.jpg   Re-wiring Kitchen Ceiling Fixture-img_6007.jpg  

mkesubway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,452

Pulling the cable back and then cutting to expose fresh insulation is a good method if you have the room to add accessible junction boxes. Sliding heat shrink tubing over the wires is another method.

Whatever you do mark the splices before you make any changes.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

You most likely will not be able to get enough extra cable to strip back the sheath to good wire. They didn't leave much extra up there (usually). You might be able to slide some shrink tube around the conductors to repair the damaged insulation.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Pulling the cable back and then cutting to expose fresh insulation is a good method if you have the room to add accessible junction boxes. Sliding heat shrink tubing over the wires is another method.

Whatever you do mark the splices before you make any changes.
Thanks for the advice.

For clarification - As long as I have room in the attic for accessible junction boxes, there is nothing wrong with cutting the AC back, maybe as much as a foot or more, and installing it in a new junction box with NM cable coming out the other end toward the ceiling fixture, true?

Also, what do you mean by "mark the splices"? I assume you mean to note how they are presently tied in together so that I can put it back together in the same configuration.
mkesubway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkesubway View Post
Thanks for the advice.

For clarification - As long as I have room in the attic for accessible junction boxes, there is nothing wrong with cutting the AC back, maybe as much as a foot or more, and installing it in a new junction box with NM cable coming out the other end toward the ceiling fixture, true?

Also, what do you mean by "mark the splices"? I assume you mean to note how they are presently tied in together so that I can put it back together in the same configuration.
What Jim refering to mark the splices to make sure they are on correct conferation before you take it apart so you will have correct pattern to hook it back up in correct way to save alot of time instead of troubleshooting it to sort it out that can eat up the time.

The other thing whatever you do with the old BX cable is never use the plastique ( Plastic ) junction box otherwise you will loose the bonding purpose but the key issue is with older BX cable the grounding connections is not always the best due the connector ( A device that hold the BX cable or other types of cable ) can get loosen up or corroded up and you loose the bonding pretty fast so keep it your mind when you make the new splices in attic.

Merci,
Marc