Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #1

Share |

Re-wiring an existing bathroom

My house was built in '92 and I need to re-wiring an existing bathroom that I'm renovating. The bathroom is currently wired on one 14/3 15amp circuit that they wired to the vanity lights, GFI outlet, bathroom fan, hallway outlets, and to one of the upstairs bedroom, both lights and outlets. I thought for a house built in '92 that it shouldn't have passed inspection.

I plan to run another 12/2 20amp line for the GFI, and to the new recessed light over the tub. I also want to re-use the existing 14/3 line. I am planning to wire it the following way if possible, but I want to make sure that this is the best way to wire everything, and that it meets code.

Here’s my plan, run the 12/2 line directly from the 20amp breaker to the GFI outlet, and then run a 12/2 line to the recessed light above the tub, and then run a 12/2 line to a wall switch box for a single-pole switch. For the vanity lights and bathroom fan, my plan is to try and re-use the existing 14/3 line by adding a junction box in the attic (since I changed the bathroom layout and the current wires will not reach the new boxes), and run a 14/2 line down to the wall switch box, with a separate single-Pole switch for both the light and the fan, and then run a 14/2 line to the lights and fan.

The wall switch box that I choose will contain all 3 single-pole switches, and I wanted to make sure that this wiring plan meets code.

Please provide me with your feedback.
Worker-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Tool Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker-B View Post
.....One 14/3 15amp circuit .........
14/3 cable is mostly round but I heard that at least one manufacturer makes flat cable (similar in profile to 14/2)

14/2 has two conductors: black,White and ground
14/3 has three conductors: black, Red, White and ground

Is your 15 Amp circuit 14/3 fed by two breakers? I don't understand the 14/3 reference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery

Last edited by PaliBob; 08-19-2009 at 03:09 PM.
PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #3

Run the 12/2 to the GFCI only

Run the new switch leg from the 3 gang sw box to the new light and use the existing circuit.

From what I've read, I think you may be misinterpeting the existing 14/3. Look into that more. it may be coming from the existing light or fan or ???
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #4

I tested all the wires last night, and they ran a 14/2 line in, 14/3 for vanity light and GFI, and a seperate 14/2 line to fan.

I tried several times to run the a new 12/2 line down to the basement from the 2nd floor bath that I'm renovating without success, so does anyone have ideas for running a line down.
Worker-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #5

I have used a length of sash chain passing thru voids between the outside walls that wew open from the basement to the attic. It will flow thru very small openings.
RetiredKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:04 AM   #6
Tool Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker-B View Post
.......so does anyone have ideas for running a line down.
Tools needed:
Procedure:

1) Cut an access hole in Bathroom wall near the floor in line with the existing switch box.

2) Drill 3/4" hole in floor. Try to keep the drill as vertical as possible to provide clearance for the fish rod.

3) Run fish rod through the floor to check for blocking in the 1st floor wall.

4) If blocking is found, Use fish rod depth to determine approximate location of blocking and then make a small exploratory test hole in the first floor wall to verify that You are in the right stud bay.
  • Make an access hole to drill through the blocking.
  • Thread the fish rod through the blocking to reach the floor
5) Make The last Access hole and push some of the fish rod through the hole.

6) Tape the new wiring to the fish rod in the Bath and pull the rod with the wiring through to the basement

Attached Thumbnails
Re-wiring an existing bathroom-fish.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery

Last edited by PaliBob; 08-23-2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: sp
Old 08-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
Tool Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredKeith View Post
I have used a length of sash chain passing thru voids between the outside walls that wew open from the basement to the attic. It will flow thru very small openings.
Keith, Here is a newer tech way to fish:
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...px?ac=ts&ra=fp

ps I see your location is Philadelphia
my wife was a kid on Sparks Street in Olney

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery
Old 08-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #8

Worker-B

The all duplex receptacle in the bathroom should be on their own 20 amp. circuit. But their is no NEC code requirement for this. In fact I
believe it means that the bathroom can be on one 20 amp. circuit, that would include all power outlet that are GFCI.

That being said, if the the 14-3 a direct feed back to the panel, with the red on one breaker and the black on another, this breaker is
now require to be a 2-pole breaker, with an ampere rating of 15 amps.

Or this 14-3 may be part of some other circuit.

In either case the 14-3 can be used to power all light within the bathroom, one leg, with the other leg used for a heater unit, or could be
left in the attic J-box as a spare circuit.
Ranger31 is offline   Reply With Quote