DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Re-Wiring a 110/220 to a 220volt.

9K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  al_smelter 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an old Leland motor 1hp on a industrial meat saw. No wiring diagram. There a four wires coming from the motor, Red ,Yellow,black and green. The motor is grounded by metal conduit to the starter panel. There are only two wires coming from the main power plug. Black and Green. It's wired to 110 by using Power plug Black to Black & Red. Green to
Green & yellow. How do I wire for 220? Thanks for any help. This motor doesn't have a capacitor. This saw was made in 1955.

#13 ·
Re-wire from 110 to 220 electric motor

I tried what you said and the last scenario that you quoted worked perfect. I'm only drawing 8.5amps on the 220 rather then 16amps on the 110. This is what I like about these forms. There's always professionals out there that help you with your problems on these forms. Thanks you so much.:thumbup:

#5 · (Edited)
How to rewire 110/220 electric motor from 110 to 220volt

This is a Leland motor made in the 1950s for my meat saw. The motor label is 110/220. single phase. 110/220 at 17/8.5amps. Reference # of the motor is 504718996 BKWJH, CSA.App# 682, Spec 6732. rpm is 1750. Color code from the motor is Black, yellow,Green and yellow with red striping. The original 110 plug is a two prong, White and black. I said black and green before but I checked further,sorry. The motor runs on 110 now. Wiring hook is From the two prong plug is White to Motor Green & Yellow
Black to motor Black to yellow with red striping. This is a Leland Motor which they no longer make. Thanks for helping me out.

Attachments

#6 ·
This is a Leland motor made in the 1950s for my meat saw. The motor label is 110/220. single phase. 110/220 at 17/8.5amps. Reference # of the motor is 504718996 BKWJH, CSA.App# 682, Spec 6732. rpm is 1750. Color code from the motor is Black, yellow,Green and yellow with red striping. The original 110 plug is a two prong, White and black. I said black and green before but I checked further,sorry. The motor runs on 110 now. Wiring hook is From the two prong plug is White to Motor Green & Yellow
Black to motor Black to yellow with red striping. This is a Leland Motor which they no longer make. Thanks for helping me out.
Ok, it looks like the motor can be configured to 240 volt operation. However, I regret to say the motor doesn't have a wiring diagram or commonly marked motor leads.

The winding will have to go from a parallel to a series. The correct way to do that is to find the polarity of the windings.

In the very least you must mark those leads before taking the cord off. This will help in the process.

#10 ·
I hope you're going to replace the old power cord for this in the process?

You already mentioned BLK to BLK & RED, GRN to GRN & YEL

With an Ohmmeter, measure the resistance from BLK to GRN, then BLK to YEL, GRN to YEL and BLK to RED. Then, if necessary, RED to GRN and RED to YEL.

If you have Resistance from BLK to GRN and RED to YEL, but do not have resistance from BLK to YEL, RED to GRN, GRN to YEL and BLK to RED:

Then assuming two separate coils; connect Line 1 to BLK, Line 2 to YEL and Wire nut GRN to RED. If the motor doesn't rotate, then Line 2 RED and wire nut GRN to YEL.

If the resistance is BLK to YEL and RED to GRN, then connect Line 1 to BLK, Line 2 to GRN and wire nut RED to YEL. If the motor doesn't rotate, then Line 2 RED and wire nut GRN to YEL.

Unless I'm missing something, this should work.

#14 ·
Or... seeing as this is a DIY site, your skills may not match the directions (quite understandable), and failure could cause a ruined motor, I offer that you could take it to your local motor shop. They will test it and install the cord on the spot, probably for free (unless the cord is shot).

Just an alternative suggestion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.