DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Re-wire 1950's house? (

Christo 01-11-2006 07:42 PM

Re-wire 1950's house?
I've bought a house built in 1958. All the electrical functions proplerly, but I would like to replace all the outlets with new recepticles that have the ground pin. The old wiring does not have a ground wire going to the recepticles. Can I just replace the old 2-prong recepticles with new ones - without using a ground wire? Or should I be looking to re-wiring the house in the future?

Rehabber 01-11-2006 08:04 PM

Have an electrician check the wiring for a ground (some older houses were wire in conduit and the comduit provided the ground) DO NOT replace a two prong outlet with a three prong outlet if it has no ground. You can replace an ungrounded two wire outlet with a GFCI

Christo 01-11-2006 09:36 PM

Thanks. I just saw in an earlier thread that someone recommended that if the metal boxes are grounded, that one could wire the ground of the recepticle to the box. How can I determine if the boxes are grounded?

Rehabber 01-12-2006 09:24 AM

Use an Ohmmeter to determine the resistance between neutral (the white wire) and the potential ground. If the resistance (ohms) between them is very high, the conduit is not grounded. You could still use GFCI's which are 3 wire outlets, but label them as "ungrounded"

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1