Re-Use Wiring? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Re-Use wiring?

I need to put a new 20amp outlet in my furnace room and do not want run a new line back to the panel. Currently there is an abandoned wiring that was for my old HW heater which was replaced last year by a gas unit. The double breaker the wires were attached to were 30 amp. There is a black wire, white wire and a ground wire.

I would like to re-use this wiring for the 20 amp outlet. Can I add a an outlet to the 4" metal box, connect it and connect the other end into a new 20amp breaker? I would connect the black wire to the breaker and white wire to the neutral bus bar.(same as ground wire is connected to)

I am assuming the larger 10# is Ok but will it fit the 20 amp break and outlet and.. is it ok to do this?

Thanks for any assistance!

Advertisement

NJ-Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #2

Re-Use wiring?

Figured it out.

The Square-D (Home) 20amp breaker supports down to #8 wire.
I will pigtail #12 to the #10 in the 4" box and attach the #12 to the 20 receptacle.

I think this should work fine. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,178

Re-Use wiring?

I believe it is perfect acceptable to pigtail #12 to #10 in the box. I assume you plan to replace the existing 240V breaker with a 120V breaker. The #10 wire should be fine, although overkill, but certainly should meet code.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #4

Re-Use wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I believe it is perfect acceptable to pigtail #12 to #10 in the box. I assume you plan to replace the existing 240V breaker with a 120V breaker. The #10 wire should be fine, although overkill, but certainly should meet code.
Yes, the wire was connected to a dual 30 amp break for 230v. I am replacing it with two 20amp single pole breakers. One for the new circuit and one to fill the blank hole left and to be used in the future or as a spare
Old 02-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #5

Re-Use wiring?

Why do you want to splice a 12 awg to the 10?? the 10 will fit on the breaker with no problem. Just remember all splices must be in a box. You will need to look at the receptacle to see if it is rated for 10 awg wire. If it is I wouldnt use any splices .
jadbad2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #6

Re-Use wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadbad2004 View Post
Why do you want to splice a 12 awg to the 10?? the 10 will fit on the breaker with no problem. Just remember all splices must be in a box. You will need to look at the receptacle to see if it is rated for 10 awg wire. If it is I wouldnt use any splices .

No

I am going to pigtail the 12 to the 10 in the box with the receptacle. The #10 will go right to the breaker
Old 02-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Re-Use wiring?

Quote:

The breaker itself is not a issue it will take the #10 AWG conductor without issue.
{ see below for rest of comment }

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Resident View Post
No

I am going to pigtail the 12 to the 10 in the box with the receptacle. The #10 will go right to the breaker
That one way you can make a pigtail spice however if you can find a receptale { commercal grade or industrail grade type } backwired {backclamped with screw } it will take #10 awg conductor without issue at all I know it cost little more than standard duxplex receptale.

However there is other issue it will come up if this is in unfinished room it have to have GFCI protection { if finished room it have to be AFCI }

Merci.
Marc
Old 02-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #8

Re-Use wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
The breaker itself is not a issue it will take the #10 AWG conductor without issue.

That one way you can make a pigtail spice however if you can find a receptale { commercal grade or industrail grade type } backwired {backclamped with screw } it will take #10 awg conductor without issue at all I know it cost little more than standard duxplex receptale.

However there is other issue it will come up if this is in unfinished room it have to have GFCI protection { if finished room it have to be AFCI }

Merci.
Marc

The 20amp receptacle I have has screws with mini clamps for the wire. I will try to use it before doing the splice. As far as the room, it is my mechanical room for the HVAC and this outlet will power the power vent for the hw heater.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Re-Use wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Resident View Post
The 20amp receptacle I have has screws with mini clamps for the wire. I will try to use it before doing the splice. As far as the room, it is my mechanical room for the HVAC and this outlet will power the power vent for the hw heater.
Ahh ok that is backwired device so that will not be a issue however I hope you don't use the standard handybox for this one.

Use the deep handybox or go with 4X4X1 1/2 or 4X4X2 1/8 junction box with duplex cover those item have more room to work around with 10 awg conductors.

Merci.
Marc
Old 02-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #10

Re-Use wiring?

Quote:

Merci.
Marc
excellent point! and from what was said it sounds like the receptacle in question will be outdooors and must be GFCI protected whether by breaker or receptacle. Good job!
jadbad2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #11

Re-Use wiring?

You are correct. The #10 wire fits into the receptacle no problem.

I just need to add a pigtail tot he ground wire as it is grounded to the box and too short to use for the receptacle.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #12
" Euro " electrician

Re-Use wiring?

Quote:
excellent point! and from what was said it sounds like the receptacle in question will be outdooors and must be GFCI protected whether by breaker or receptacle. Good job!
Jadbad .,

Just check the OP's comment where this will be located and it is indoor not the outdoor location.

Otherwise everything else is right on the dot.

Merci.
Marc
Old 02-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #13

Re-Use wiring?

Quote:
Ahh ok that is backwired device so that will not be a issue however I hope you don't use the standard handybox for this one.

Use the deep handybox or go with 4X4X1 1/2 or 4X4X2 1/8 junction box with duplex cover those item have more room to work around with 10 awg conductors.

Merci.
Marc

There is a 4" handy box already screwed to the wall surface but I bought a 1.75" extender ring for the box plus a 1/2" duplex receptacle cover. I want room to work with the wires, they are pretty thick and not as pliable as #14. LOL

I can upload pictures if you want to see it?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #14
" Euro " electrician

Re-Use wiring?

Oui., please do show us the photo.

If this is a true 4 X4 box then you don't really need the extendsion ring on it but show us the photo so we can tell ya.

Merci.
Marc
Old 02-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #15

Re-Use wiring?

Here is the 4x4 box

The thick black wire was the ground for HW heater but is now grounded to my cold water pipe which is now buried copper to the street. The cold water main used to be plastic but I had it replaced 5 years ago.

The duplex cover and the extender ring too.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Last edited by NJ-Resident; 02-19-2011 at 10:55 PM.