RE: Kenmore Dishwasher (Not New) - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

RE: Kenmore Dishwasher (Not New)

Hello everyone,

I am a computer guy not handyman however in this day and age it is cheaper to do things for yourself. So my question is this, I have a wire coming from the wall I am not sure if it's 220 or 110 how ever it is a thick White outter wire with a White, Black and looks to be Copper Wire. On my dishwasher I only have a black and white wire. I am assuming the white goes to white and the black goes to black but where does the copper wire go to?

Thanks,
Michael

Advertisement

houstonpcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

The bare copper is for the ground, there is usually a green screen that you wrap the wire around.

If there is no screw you can usually put a screw in yourself and use that. You would put the screw in the same place where the wire comes in, as long as it is metal.

Advertisement

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
The bare copper is for the ground, there is usually a green screen that you wrap the wire around.

If there is no screw you can usually put a screw in yourself and use that. You would put the screw in the same place where the wire comes in, as long as it is metal.
Thank you very much Darren, That's what I figured now my next question is, Do I ground it to the dishwasher or do I have to find something in the kitchen to ground it to, because I don't think there is anything to ground it to in there, where it is located?

Thanks again for your help.
Michael
houstonpcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

The few dishwashers I have installed the wires comes into a small metal enclosure(this is where you will find the knock out that the wires come through) and this is where it would get grounded.

The other end of the bare copper will be attached to the ground bar inside your panel.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
...The other end of the bare copper will be attached to the ground bar inside your panel.
Which if is properly installed, would already be hooked up.

Additional note...(I'm bored today)...there is a proper way to attach a looped wire around a screw. Orientate the wire so it is pulled on to the screw when tightened. If the wire is coming to the screw from below it, the wire would go on the left...hence tightening the screw will pull it on, instead of pushing it off. (Told ya I was bored...)

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote