Rational Explaination Please... - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers
 
J187's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 991
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Rational explaination please...


Ok, So my wife and I had just settled into bed last night. I turned the light off at the dimmer, we have this dimmer -

I then got into my side of bed and laid down. Two or three minutes later, the light turned itself back on. Not just a small glow, about halfway on. I walked over to the dimmer and the slide was appropriately halfway up as well. Can anyone think of something that might cause other than saying the house is haunted?

Advertisement

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,510
Rewards Points: 2,008
Default

Rational explaination please...


Replace the dimmer. If it does it again, get used to new friends in your home.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
DIYer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 910
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Rational explaination please...


I have two thoughts.

1. Maybe the dimmer got stuck half way down because of debris in it, debris that also broke the connection temporarily. You didn't notice it stopping half way because you just flicked it down without looking. When that debris shifted, the lights came on and you noticed it was in the middle. If the light came on suddenly instead of tapering up, I suspect this.

2. Maybe there's a slight taper to the contact pad inside and the spring loaded wiper somehow caused it to slide up, or a similar mechanical thing involving something slightly spring loaded. A long shot but plausible I think. If the light slowly came up, this is more likely.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Rational explaination please...


Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
Ok, So my wife and I had just settled into bed last night. I turned the light off at the dimmer, we have this dimmer -

I then got into my side of bed and laid down. Two or three minutes later, the light turned itself back on. Not just a small glow, about halfway on. I walked over to the dimmer and the slide was appropriately halfway up as well. Can anyone think of something that might cause other than saying the house is haunted?
Are you, like, way way old?
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
They're all fixer-uppers
 
J187's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 991
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Rational explaination please...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
I have two thoughts.

1. Maybe the dimmer got stuck half way down because of debris in it, debris that also broke the connection temporarily. You didn't notice it stopping half way because you just flicked it down without looking. When that debris shifted, the lights came on and you noticed it was in the middle. If the light came on suddenly instead of tapering up, I suspect this.

2. Maybe there's a slight taper to the contact pad inside and the spring loaded wiper somehow caused it to slide up, or a similar mechanical thing involving something slightly spring loaded. A long shot but plausible I think. If the light slowly came up, this is more likely.

Your first explaination wouldn't work. I am definitely positive that I slid the lever all the way, I never flick it because the knob can pop off.

The second is definitely plausible. There very well might be a spring of some kind involved. Thanks for the thought.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Are you, like, way way old?
I don't understand the inference here. To answer your question, I'm 30 years old. But again, I am going to need you to explain the inference if there is a joke attached, it isn't obvious to me.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Rational explaination please...


Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
I'm 30 years old.
When you get way old, you'd be surprised at what strange memory lapses you can have.
You're not there yet, and this is both good and bad.
Growing old is a privilege denied to many, but it does have its downsides.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 272
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Rational explaination please...


Ahhhh.....

Looking at the photo of the dimmer, it's always in the middle... you just think you move it
__________________
Willis
williswires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
They're all fixer-uppers
 
J187's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 991
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Rational explaination please...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
When you get way old, you'd be surprised at what strange memory lapses you can have.
You're not there yet, and this is both good and bad.
Growing old is a privilege denied to many, but it does have its downsides.

Ah I get ya. Does it count if I Feel like I'm in my 60s some days? Seriously though, I'm a young guy, no drugs or alcohol on that night either, just some strange goings on.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Rational explaination please...


Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
just some strange goings on.
For strange noises in the middle of the night I usually bring along Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson, but doing that can bring some other problems.

I will say if you can remember things that happened a long time ago easier than you can remember recent events it is supposed to mean "the pipes in your CPU" are becoming hardened.

And,
if it happens one day that you can see your own bones without an X-ray you should probably go and look for a telephone.
It also means you will meet a lot of new people and go to new places.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 01-13-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #10
They're all fixer-uppers
 
J187's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 991
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Rational explaination please...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
For strange noises in the middle of the night I usually bring along Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson, but doing that can bring some other problems.

I will say if you can remember things that happened a long time ago easier than you can remember recent events it is supposed to mean "the pipes in your CPU" are becoming hardened.

And,
if it happens one day that you can see your own bones without an X-ray you should probably go and look for a telephone.
It also means you will meet a lot of new people and go to new places.
I wonder how many people I offended by responding to your "way way old" with "in my 60s"... oops. Sorry people. I mean 90s...
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Rational explaination please...


Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
I wonder how many people I offended by responding to your "way way old" with "in my 60s"
You've offended 14% of the U.S. population, about 50 million people; I just don't have their names handy at the moment.

If this forum is a random sample of the population [which I doubt] then you've offended 14% of forum members. They, however, might make themselves known.

For 90's and older, as it happens your chance is only 14% that you've offended anyone in the U.S.

Man, I need to get a day job!!!
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #12
DIYer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 910
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Rational explaination please...


Quote:
Originally Posted by williswires View Post
Ahhhh.....

Looking at the photo of the dimmer, it's always in the middle... you just think you move it
The dimmer didn't move -- It stayed still while the entire planet shifted down an inch.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Western Ontario
Posts: 955
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Rational explaination please...


Don't worry a good percentage of those of us over 45 won't remember you said 60 the first time!
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #14
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,905
Rewards Points: 2,162
Default

Rational explaination please...


Wow, I really want to make a funny joke about this, AND I want to give you some sound professional advice on what happened and why, but I am at a loss for both.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Rational explaination please...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
The dimmer didn't move -- It stayed still while the entire planet shifted down an inch.
Probably the work of Satan. . .

Advertisement

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts