Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #1

Share |

range wire

I pulled a new wire for the range- the recpt. was an old, surface mounted device that was loose. I went with a 4 wire recpt. and changed the range wire to a 4 wire.

The wire from the range is so thick and stiff it pushes the drawer out from under the range.

Anyone had this issue? The wire came from a big box, I can go to the supply house Monday and see if they have something a little more flexible.
Any ideas on how to sort this out?

Thanks!

7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #2

range wire

Lets just be sure this is correct. You pulled the new wire from the panel to the DEEP surface mounted box and connected it to a 50 amp range receptacle? Then you installed a cord and plug to the range and you can just plug it in? Right? If this is correct, turn the receptacle upside down. This way the cord is going up instead of down. This will give you room to push the range back. I try to let the cord lay under the drawer when the cord is angled down.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

range wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7echo View Post
I pulled a new wire for the range- the recpt. was an old, surface mounted device that was loose. I went with a 4 wire recpt. and changed the range wire to a 4 wire.

The wire from the range is so thick and stiff it pushes the drawer out from under the range.

Anyone had this issue? The wire came from a big box, I can go to the supply house Monday and see if they have something a little more flexible.
Any ideas on how to sort this out?

Thanks!
Unfortunately the big box stores haven't figured out that a 6' 3/4 diameter 4 wire range cord is generally not necessary for most applications. They are too long and bulky as you mentioned.

Jv is correct though that the receptacle position helps with the cord laying behind the drawer correctly.

I like to position them horizontal (flush mount or surface mount) about center of the drawer depends on the range. Sometimes I actually mount a surface mount on the floor parallel to the wall. Reason I do this is because the location of the receptacle is pretty low to the floor most of the time and gives you a couple routing options. If the receptacle is too high you will have all kinds of problems. It needs to be located in the drawer cavity area.

However if you will go to an appliance store you will find that they give you several range cord options in 40 and 50 amp cords. Length and stiffness are your biggest enemies to having the problem you describe.

The most friendly range cords are 4' in legth and have a flat cable design. the flat cable ones are most common in 40 amp 3 wire but some appliance stores have them in 50 4 wire and 4 feet. I think though if you position the surface receptacle correctly (flush mount ones are a big help) as JV said and get one that is 4 wire 4' long round or flat you be happy.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 08-16-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #4

range wire

Hope the image appears--

This is what I have now, should make it easier to understand than my commentary. A picture is worth...

If I turn it 180 degrees it won't fit. A 90 degree turn might work OK, but I am going to check out an appliance store for a shorter more flexible wire.

Thanks for the comments, really helped with some options!
Attached Thumbnails
range wire-plug.jpg  
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

range wire

You are not going to find a more fexible cord, but you should find a shorter cord. Turning the receptacle 90 degrees amy help also.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #6

range wire

That receptacle can be turned upside down or sideways. You have an accessible mud ring on that box. That can be rotated too. Just aim the cord up and push the range back. Or do what Stubbie said and go to an appliance store.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote