DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Range receptacle install for SE cable run

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Stubbie 
#1 ·
20 year old GE range currently is hard-wired via SE Cable Style U 600 Volts. It appears the SE Cable consists of 2 black insulated and 1 braided bare Aluminum. The connected breaker is rated for 40A. The voltage from the range label reads: 120/240 at 12.1kW or 120/208 at 9.2kW.

I'm planning to purchase new GE range rated at 40A, 208/240V, max power 10.5kW. It does support 3 or 4 prong range receptacles.

Question -- Will this surface mount 3 prong receptable from Lowes (http://tinyurl.com/c5rwlh) which is rated at 50A-125 / 250V be kosher with the SE Cable setup described above?

#3 ·
Yep that works. Be sure to read your instructions on the new GE range for how it is configured from the factory...for 3 or 4 wire connections. If it is configured for 4 wires you need to change it to a 3 wire connection. Manufacturers are beginning to ship the appliances both ways so be sure what you have. The last GE dryer I hooked up came configured for 4 wires and I had to connect the bonding jumper to the frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.