Range Pigtail - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Range pigtail

I just bought a used maytag MEP5770AAB and it did not come with a pigtail so I bought one from Home Depot. When I attempted to put it on I saw that there were bolts on the screws that the pigtail attaches to. I tried to unscrew these bolts assuming that I put them back on over the pigtail but they will NOT come undone. Im not sure if they are suppsed to be there and I attach the pigtail and just add more bolts or if they are supposed to come off. If they are supposed to come off then I dont know what to do because 3 people have tried to get them off and they will not come undone.

Advertisement

starfish1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

Range pigtail

Post pictures of the pigtail where it plugs in, the end that connects to the block, and the range. Usually you just loosen the Phillips head screws on the block for the Red, White, Black, and slip the connector on the end of the wire under that particular screw and then tighten down the screw to be snug. The Green, which is ground, does not connect to the White, which is Neutral, but would be on its own with the Green from the Pigtail. That would be a 4-wire connection. 3-wire connections are "bonded" with Neutral & Ground as one.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Range pigtail

Thank you for your reply. I will post pictures tomorrow (not at the house with the range). I dont understand what you mean by loosening the screws and slipping the pigtail in behing them then tightening the screws down. The ends of the pigtail that I have are complete circles. I will send pictures tomorrow so that you can better understand. Im at a loss.
starfish1215 is offline   Reply With Quote