DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Range outlet pushes oven too far from wall

120K views 10 replies 13 participants last post by  joed 
#1 ·
I just purchased a new oven and although the outlet and wiring is compatible, the location of the outlet makes the oven stick out from the wall because it sits high. If the outlet were lower, I could push the oven back further because there is open space in the back of the oven up to about 2' (the outlet is just a tad higher).

I would like to fix this, but I'm not really sure what to do. Is there any sort of recessed outlet box I could use? What if I use the current box as a junction and install a new box for the outlet? Is this code?

Thanks,
John

#5 ·
Happens all the time. Most ranges have that channel thing down the middle. You need to move the box left or right.

Not too tough because you can get away with an ugly patch behind the range.

Turn off power,
make sure no one will turn it back on,
test voltage on BOTH legs,
remove the recep from the box,
cut a big piece of drywall out,
screw in some backing if necessary,
relocate the box,
put the drywall back,
caulk the drywall joints to keep bugs out,
reinstall recep/cover plate,
turn on and test voltage,
plug in range,
reach awkwardly over countertop to keep the cord from getting hung up while you slide range into place. It helps to have long monkey arms for this part.

#6 ·
I've always found this to be hilarious. Luckily my wife will never need to disconnect the range......:) The drawer in our range has enough metal and glass lids in it you would be 2 or 3 minutes unloading the damn thing before your going to disconnect anything.

#7 ·
This sounds interesting. What materials did you use to make the alcove?

If the wire comes up from the bottom you simply move the receptacle down to the floor level where it normally goes.
I wish this were the case, but the wire is coming from the attic.

Lets not forgot the important stuff, :) it actually has to be at the bottom rear of the stove to meet code, the cord and plug need to be accessible with the bottom drawer removed to meet the intent of a disconnect.
So this is my only real option, huh? Is it code to use the current box as a junction for the new one? It has to either go in to the wall or lower to work.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

#9 ·
Using the existing box as a junction is ok so long as you extend it with the proper gauge wire to the new box (and of course with the proper number of conductors, which should be 4 including the ground). So long as the existing box remains accessible on the surface (don't bury it behind the drywall, just put a blank cover on it) everything should be fine. Some hardware stores will let you purchase the cable in the specified length you need, rather than buying a whole roll of it, get a little extra just to be on the safe side. Also, don't forget the proper sized wire nuts to go with the extension of the wire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.