Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #1

Share |

Range install in "old" house

I am nearing the end of a kitchen remodel and have removed the old drop in range. It was hard wired into a 3 wire cable. The cable consists of 2 black multi-strand aluminum wires, surrounded by bare alluminum strands (ground). They are encased in a gray plastic .

Do I have to have new 220 cable run from the main box or can I wire this into a 3 or 4 wire outlet? How do you determine which wire is nuetral?

Thank,
dhb1959
dhb1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhb1959 View Post
I am nearing the end of a kitchen remodel and have removed the old drop in range. It was hard wired into a 3 wire cable. The cable consists of 2 black multi-strand aluminum wires, surrounded by bare alluminum strands (ground). They are encased in a gray plastic .

Do I have to have new 220 cable run from the main box or can I wire this into a 3 or 4 wire outlet? How do you determine which wire is nuetral?

Thank,
dhb1959
There is no neutral only ground. I would run new copper 4 wire for this.

Last edited by ElectricianJeff; 04-20-2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling
ElectricianJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricianJeff View Post
There is no neutral only ground.
Jeff, it is the exact opposite. This is SE cable and the bare wire in question is a NEUTRAL.

This comes up quite frequently. Here is what I wrote in a recent post:

"Older "3-wire" 120/240v circuits were acceptable, IF they had a NEUTRAL!
The ONLY acceptable cables were ones with THREE INSULATED wires, OR Type SE cable. That's IT.
A solid bare wire IS NOT and WAS NEVER allowed to carry current or act as a neutral."

What the OP has IS type SE cable and is acceptable. Although I do agree, running a new 4-wire circuit IS the best bet.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
Licensed Pro

What you have is SE type cable, the two insulated wires are the hots and the outer unsulated wire is the neutral. There is no ground, but the older code allowed the frame of the range to be grounded to the neutral at the appliance. While upgrading to a 4-wire setup (8/3 or 6/3) would be ideal, if this cable originates from the main service (not a subpanel) and you are not relocating the cable, you can use it for your new appliance. You will need to use a three wire receptacle and plug.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Jeff, it is the exact opposite. This is SE cable and the bare wire in question is a NEUTRAL.

This comes up quite frequently. Here is what I wrote in a recent post:

"Older "3-wire" 120/240v circuits were acceptable, IF they had a NEUTRAL!
The ONLY acceptable cables were ones with THREE INSULATED wires, OR Type SE cable. That's IT.
A solid bare wire IS NOT and WAS NEVER allowed to carry current or act as a neutral."

What the OP has IS type SE cable and is acceptable. Although I do agree, running a new 4-wire circuit IS the best bet.
Thanks Speedy....I stand corrected. Guess I had a brain fort. Uninsulated made me think ground for some reason.

I always replace alum. feeders when its at all feasable.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Jeff
ElectricianJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #6

I love refresher courses......Thanks Speedy
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:21 AM   #7

Thanks Guys for your help...although I wanted to save the money of running new wiring.
dhb1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:14 AM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhb1959 View Post
Thanks Guys for your help...although I wanted to save the money of running new wiring.
We see this a lot. Someone will spend lots of money on cabinets, fancy sinks and faucets, a nice dishwasher and flooring, and then try to save money on the electrical, which could burn the whole thing down. Or hurt or kill someone.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #9

I'm putting in a range aand running a new 220V circuit to it. it'll be run outside the house in conduit. what size wire do I need, 8-3,6-3? what size conduit? any building codes concerning length of such a run? (it'll be quite a long run,maybe 100')

tnx,
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote