Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

Ran a wire to an electrical panel for my first time

Been quite adventurous now that I own a house. Been reading up a lot on proper electrical codes and what not. Had to run a wire for my dishwasher so I decided to use #12 to support 20 amps and ran from the kitchen to the panel which went well as below the kitchen is an unfinished crawlspace.

Opened up the panel once I got to it, shut off the main breaker, removed an old circuit that I don't need (it feeds the washroom and closet which will be removed) and added my wire in. The breaker is a 20 amp conveniently. Once I was done I also ran the dryer plug which was just a short wire as the dryer will go where the panel is now. Both worked flawlessly first try. (which is a good thing, don't want any mistakes with 240 volts :p)

Went fairly smooth, though it took me a while to get the old wire out as it is tight in there. Fairly well organized panel though, just small and full.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Clap Clap Clap. Now, you just have to get your permit and you will get a gold star!

Seriously, good job. I know that first foray into the breaker box is nerve racking. But, get your permit and you will be so proud of yourself. It will entitle you to another completely self aggrandizing post about your massive awesomeness. And you will TOTALLY have earned it.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
Now, you just have to get your permit and you will get a gold star!
Just another reason to like you Leah!

Good job Red Squirrel. Just remember...Just because the receptacles work and the lights come on doesn't mean that it was necessarily done correctly! Always a good thing to have your work double-checked by someone qualified.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #4

I'm been working up the nerve to go into the box. I need to add a circuit for the media room that I'm adding but I'm leaving the circuit breaker to the last minute. Glad to hear someone found it easy enough, that gives me hope I wont kill myself.
RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #5

You should wear level 2 arc flash gear, or you might really take on a red skin tone.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

Haha yeah I turned my face away when I flipped the main back on, "just in case". I always pull a bit on my wires to ensure they are tight and double check my work before turning anything on though so I was confident all was good.

About getting a permit, is this something you'd do after taking a full blown electrical course to have an electrical career or is this something anybody can do?

I actually have a nice setup for my panel as it used to be fuses, and they left over the main cut off switch, so I can cut power to the box completly. The idea of having the box semi electrified even by shutting the main breaker makes me a little scared but knowing there was zero power in there reassured me more. The bus bar looks fairly hard to touch by accident though. A pre breaker short is not something I would want to see up close.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
Learning by Doing

So, I can't vouch for our neighbors to the north, eh? But in my township any homeowner can pull a permit for electrical work (so long as the home is their primary residence and they have resided there fore nine months). In my town a permit for something like you did would run in the $45 dollar range.

Laws on this vary greatly. Call your city building office and ask them. It's the only way to find out for sure.

PS. even after running 10 new circuits and going through the permitting process I still turn my head when I turn the main back on.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

Good to know, I might consider getting it just to say that I have it, and it's "the right thing to do" (tm).
Old 07-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #9
Learning by Doing

Bragging Rights. If nothing else, get it for the bragging rights.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #10

No drama new work short tester

With heavy clip leads, wire a 10A, 120v hair dryer across the turned-off CB that feeds your new work, for 1 or 2 seconds.

If the voltage across the dryer reads more than 72v out of 120v this is more than a 120v, 15A load.
More than 80v, more than a 120v, 20A load.
Wear level 2 arc flash protection for this one. If the voltage across the dryer reads more than 114v this is more than a 120v, 200A load.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
No drama new work short tester

With heavy clip leads, wire a 10A, 120v hair dryer across the turned-off CB that feeds your new work, for 1 or 2 seconds.

If the voltage across the dryer reads more than 72v out of 120v this is more than a 120v, 15A load.
More than 80v, more than a 120v, 20A load.
Wear level 2 arc flash protection for this one. If the voltage across the dryer reads more than 114v this is more than a 120v, 200A load.
Okay what are you talking about, i have never heard of this before. Your voltage will never change, if you have 100ma or 15A on your circuit your potentioal will still be 120V. Voltage is like water pressure, it shouldn't fluculate the more amperage you use. Yes there is situations where your voltage will drop but under normal properly wired situations your voltage is constant.

You should always look away and only have your hand over the panel when you flip the breaker(called the left hand rule). If there is a short chances are your breaker will trip right away and not blow up in your face but there is a chance of this happening though.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #12
Wire Chewer

I was also reading something that stab lok breakers are more dangerous and have tendency to fail. Is this true? That happens to be the maker of my panel.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #13
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Okay what are you talking about, i have never heard of this before. Your voltage will never change, if you have 100ma or 15A on your circuit your potentioal will still be 120V. Voltage is like water pressure, it shouldn't fluculate the more amperage you use. Yes there is situations where your voltage will drop but under normal properly wired situations your voltage is constant.
He's referring to wiring the hairdryer in series with the circuit, then measuring the voltage at the hairdryer connection. There will be a voltage drop across the dryer that is different than the circuit voltage. What this will help with, is if there is a short in the circuit, you won't blow the breaker. The measurements at the terminals will tell you the condition of the circuit.

If you read 120 V, then there is a short. If you read less than 120 V, there is not a short.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I was also reading something that stab lok breakers are more dangerous and have tendency to fail. Is this true? That happens to be the maker of my panel.
Yes, they have a tendency to not trip during short circuits, which I dare say, is the best time for a breaker to trip.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #15

Just curious if you can actually get a permit after the work is done. Isn't part of the permit process getting the work inspected to assure it's done to code and is done before power is applied to the circuits?

Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote