DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Ran some wires and changed switches, now some outlets arent working (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/ran-some-wires-changed-switches-now-some-outlets-arent-working-164020/)

rygar 11-19-2012 01:01 PM

Ran some wires and changed switches, now some outlets arent working
 
Hello.
I will try to be as detailed as possible as what had been done and what the problem is.

PROBLEM: The outlets, switches and lights do not work in half of the hall bath and the half of the master bath, a closet and wall outlet.

All breakers are in the ON position.

WORK DONE:
  1. We started with running a romex 3 line wire from a switch to a new ceiling fan.
  2. Ran romex froma BX box into the island in the kitchen.
  3. Removed the remote transmitter out of fans in the bedrooms.
  4. Switched one pole, double pole and three way switches in dining room hallway and entrance
  5. Switched outlets in kitchen, dining room, hallway and entry
I am also attaching a picture of the floor plan to help place everything.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...54251330_n.jpg

rygar 11-19-2012 03:21 PM

Does anyone have any ideas?

rjniles 11-19-2012 04:04 PM

You have left a neutral or hot lead open somewhere. No way we can tell. You need to use a meter and open all boxes you touched and test.

hammerlane 11-19-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rygar (Post 1056170)
Does anyone have any ideas?


Loose connection somewhere. There is absolutely no way anyone on a forum can tell you where the loose connection is.

rygar 11-19-2012 05:51 PM

Hey fellows.

I wasnt looking for an obvious solution. I just wanted a start point on where to start digging.

I want to eliminate all scenarios that are not likely.

now my follow up question is, will it only be a loose connection/open lead that is next to the circuit that is affected? could it be the new fan or new outlet which are on completely different breakers?

thanks for all input

jbfan 11-19-2012 05:54 PM

If all the non working devices are on the same circuit, it could be a single common point.

If they are on different circuits, then you may have to undo everything you did to find all the problems.

rygar 11-19-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 1056324)
If all the non working devices are on the same circuit, it could be a single common point.

If they are on different circuits, then you may have to undo everything you did to find all the problems.

here is a newcomer question. how does one determine if they are all on the same circuit?

i mean the morning before we started it all worked and then when we stopped those were the only things that were off. they are all located pretty close together.

jbfan 11-19-2012 06:49 PM

Did you turn off the main, or induvidual breakers when you changed the switches and receptacles.
Depending on how old the house is, it can be a guessing game.
Try to envision how you would run the wire from the panel to the first device on the circuit and so on and so on.

Speedy Petey 11-19-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rygar (Post 1056096)
(4) Switched one pole, double pole and three way switches in dining room hallway and entrance

I am suspicious of this.

Did you do it correctly?
What are you referring to as a "double pole"?? A DP switch has almost no place inside a residence. I highly doubt that is what it really is.

digitalplumber 11-19-2012 07:57 PM

Gfi, gfi

JuzRick 11-19-2012 10:31 PM

It sounds as you had a row of receptacles possibly tied into your switch. Again..suggesting as priorly mentioned, you need to start ohming out where you first modified/changed out from the switch, light..receptacle; for you had to have left a live wire out somewhere loss. Consider looking at any jbox if you used any. Depending on how much work u done, depending on how easy it will be to trace out. Consult an electrician to physically troubleshoot the circuits if you have too!

dmxtothemax 11-19-2012 10:34 PM

Most likely you have not connectted some wire correctily !
All of these non working things are probably on on circuit,
which was tacked on at one of the switchs / recepticules
you have changed.
Or other possibility is a loose connection becauser you have
disturbed it when changing over switchs / recepticules.

If you cannot find it, you will have to perform some tests
with a meter to determine which line has been lost,
cause it could be a neutral or a hot.
Test Test Test !!!

Sorry we cannot be more specific
There are many variables to consider.

rygar 11-20-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 1056381)
Did you turn off the main, or induvidual breakers when you changed the switches and receptacles.
Depending on how old the house is, it can be a guessing game.
Try to envision how you would run the wire from the panel to the first device on the circuit and so on and so on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey (Post 1056402)
I am suspicious of this.

Did you do it correctly?
What are you referring to as a "double pole"?? A DP switch has almost no place inside a residence. I highly doubt that is what it really is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalplumber (Post 1056434)
Gfci?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuzRick (Post 1056573)
It sounds as you had a row of receptacles possibly tied into your switch. Again..suggesting as priorly mentioned, you need to start ohming out where you first modified/changed out from the switch, light..receptacle; for you had to have left a live wire out somewhere loss. Consider looking at any jbox if you used any. Depending on how much work u done, depending on how easy it will be to trace out. Consult an electrician to physically troubleshoot the circuits if you have too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmxtothemax (Post 1056577)
Most likely you have not connectted some wire correctily !
All of these non working things are probably on on circuit,
which was tacked on at one of the switchs / recepticules
you have changed.
Or other possibility is a loose connection becauser you have
disturbed it when changing over switchs / recepticules.

If you cannot find it, you will have to perform some tests
with a meter to determine which line has been lost,
cause it could be a neutral or a hot.
Test Test Test !!!

Sorry we cannot be more specific
There are many variables to consider.

The work was mostly done by my brother in law who has rewired a house before, but i did get a hold of one of my best good buds who is an E2 and he will be coming over this weekend to look things over.

He did mention that i might need to reset a GFI. The only GFI was in the 2nd bathroom and it wasnt working. I will check garage/basement to see if there are any hidden GFIs before he comes over.

digitalplumber 11-20-2012 08:55 AM

Also, wont hurt to double check your breakers to make sure they are not tripped, but dont look like it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved