Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #1

Share |

Raise or move light above vanity!?

Hey everyone, new to the forum and just getting started in my first home. Whole home was just painted, floors are in progress now as well as many other things being repaired or replaced. Bathroom is freshly painted, new floor was put in this past week and now looking to put it all together with the vanity, bowl and such so we can get our first room complete. Found a vanity and mirror that we want but not sure if it will work as the top of the mirror is tall. Here's the situation.....

The 30" wide vanity is about 35" high with counter, the back and left side will be against the walls(small bathroom btw). Issue I'm having is with the height and light position. The center of light box in wall is about 14.5" out from the left wall and it is 79" up from the floor. The matching mirror to the vanity is 35" or 37" high. With the mirror,vanity and space between them it will be too high and probably cover the light box. Any advice on what to do? Can I somehow raise the light higher? Is their any solution to this without cutting up and having to put up new drywall?

If I didn't explain it good enough or you need more details just let me know. Thanks.

Mike

Mike2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #2

If I am understanding correctly, you just need to move it up higher in the same stud cavity? And if removed, the existing hole would be covered by the new mirror (where a ugly patch would be plenty good enough)? I say move it - should not be a big deal to do. The wire probably comes down from above. Remove the old box and see where the wire runs. Cut a hole higher where needed and use an old work box.

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:35 AM   #3

Exactly, just want to move it up within the same stud cavity and the mirror will hide the old box location. Didn't know their was a box that doesn't have to be on the stud, this is great news. Thanks vsheetz!
Mike2181 is offline   Reply With Quote