Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

radiant floor heat thermostat

I've got a SunTouch radiant heat mat installed under a tile floor. Yet to be wired up into a live circuit because I'm not sure if I should put it on a 15 or 20 amp breaker. #12 wire was pulled to the bathroom during a remodel so we can have the outlets on a dedicated 20 amp circuit...and the way we roughed in the electrical for the floor mat, it will be on the same circuit. I'm just a bit confused about the wording for the installation manual for the thermostat.

"The circuit breaker in the main circuit panel should be 15 amps maximum
for a floor warming system totaling 12 amps or less. For larger systems up to

15 amps, use a 20 amp maximum circuit breaker. Never exceed 15 amps on
this thermostat."

My "floor warming system" is 12 amps or less, it's just a small mat. I should never exceed 15 amps on the thermostat... meaning what? I can't run it on a 20 amp circuit, or not overload it with 15 amps worth of mats?

I'd like to run the circuit at 20 amps rather than waste a #12 circuit by limiting it to 15 amps.

kornbln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbln View Post
I've got a SunTouch radiant heat mat installed under a tile floor. Yet to be wired up into a live circuit because I'm not sure if I should put it on a 15 or 20 amp breaker. #12 wire was pulled to the bathroom during a remodel so we can have the outlets on a dedicated 20 amp circuit...and the way we roughed in the electrical for the floor mat, it will be on the same circuit. I'm just a bit confused about the wording for the installation manual for the thermostat.

When you added the mat to the receptacle circuit it is no longer dedicated. Wiring the floor mat to the same circuit will result in a Code violation. Adding 12 amps of heat to the receptacle circuit will not allow you use a blow dryer or curling iron without tripping the breaker due to overload. The 20 amp receptacle circuit should only serve the receptacle. Run a new circuit for the mat.

"The circuit breaker in the main circuit panel should be 15 amps maximum
for a floor warming system totaling 12 amps or less. For larger systems up to

15 amps, use a 20 amp maximum circuit breaker. Never exceed 15 amps on
this thermostat."

My "floor warming system" is 12 amps or less, it's just a small mat. I should never exceed 15 amps on the thermostat... meaning what? I can't run it on a 20 amp circuit, or not overload it with 15 amps worth of mats?

You should follow the directions and install a 15 amp breaker. You are not wasting anything as the mat will not draw the capacity of the 20 amp circuit.

I'd like to run the circuit at 20 amps rather than waste a #12 circuit by limiting it to 15 amps.
My replies are in red.

Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Jim, I understand these are no longer dedicated outlets.. but the mat doesn't draw 12 amps, its only about 1-2. Too late to change the wiring...
kornbln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,232

You can't change the breaker to 15 amp. Maybe you could wire the heat mat to the nearest bedroom circuit.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Or the bathroom lighting circuit. 3 amps, it's only 360 watts. And the suntouch floor heat t-stat has built in GFCI protection.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

The floor mats only draw about 2 amps. As long as the dedicated circuit serves only that bathroom, you can have the receptacles and floor mat on that circuit. The breaker must remain 20A.