Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Quick Saturday Project

So my light bulb burned out in my hallway and since i've moved in i wanted to put recessed can lights in the hall and remove the old fixture.

I believe 2 can lights should do the trick (pictures below)

What is a universal size you would recommend? I will do the same size in the laundry room and kitchen eventually.

Thanx!

gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Quick Saturday Project

From my limited experience the smaller recessed lights have heat limitations - thus - you can only use a lesser wattage bulb which reduces the light that's cast. So 4" would be too small. 6" might be ideal - or bigger if you like (kind of a personal taste issue, really).

Installing it is simple - but cutting the opening must be done with precision since some (not all) but some cans require friction and support from the sheetrock to help hold it in place. OR - some have such a small rim around the edge that any slight overcut will be hard to hide/require mud/tape/paint to fix.

Where will your new lighting be located? In the center? They sell adjustable support bars that go joist to joist so you can put lights exactly in teh center of an area instead of having to offset the location based on where you joists are. (see your light - it's offcenter because they attached it to a joist and apparently didn't have a problem with the aesthetics of it)

If you locate your lights in a different opening - what will you do with the current hole for this present light? You have several options - leave the box in place (the box is the electrical inset outlet that all lights have and attach to - the box holds up the light and attaches to the joist) - and just cover it with a screw-on flat plate.
You can remove light and box and use a repair piece of drywall or a patch and drywall mud it in place - however - you ahve a patterned ceiling so this option won't quite match, but you can try
Third repair idea is to patch the old hole, paint, and then attach the smoke alarm, here, as a coverup for the work.

gmhammes (04-24-2010)
Old 04-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #3

Quick Saturday Project

Well i will be centering the lights. (i don't like the offset now) I will be getting the recessed light with the track which i have installed in new construction but not existing. I'm would be more comfortable using the new construction cans that attach to the joists.

Good call with the smoke alram. I currently have one in the hall however should easily be able to move it to where the current light fixture is and have minimal repairs.

The 6" light seems fitting, i think i'm going to place them in the center of each hall section if that makes sense (between the same joist, just spanned apart) I will be using the electrical from the current light since it is three way and already wired up to the two switches. Should be plenty of light in my opinion.

Any issues with insulation? (this house is a ranch)
Old 04-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,004

Quick Saturday Project

You plan to do this all today? Saturday? Good luck. I mean that in a good way.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
Military Mom of 4

Quick Saturday Project

Sounds like you're good to go. I would, though, go into the attic and do a thorough look around to spot potential problems and issues - like obstructions.
You have ductwork in your ceiling and an air intake nearby - so that might be in the area where you want to work. Take all things into consideration before you spend any money
Old 04-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #6

Quick Saturday Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
You plan to do this all today? Saturday? Good luck. I mean that in a good way.
It may roll over into sunday, also i may not get to the plastering/repairing but i will post pics up when done!
Old 04-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #7

Quick Saturday Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav View Post
Sounds like you're good to go. I would, though, go into the attic and do a thorough look around to spot potential problems and issues - like obstructions.
You have ductwork in your ceiling and an air intake nearby - so that might be in the area where you want to work. Take all things into consideration before you spend any money
Yep, i've been up in the attic a few times already. New exhaust fan in the bathroom and when i bought the house all of the room lights were controled through an outlet made for a lamp. Also there were no closet lights. So i added closet lights to all the rooms on switches except for the master which will be bypassing door so i have it on motion sensor. I also added lighted ceiling fans to each room with double switches (no more switched outlets).

I will be going back up there once more to check for restrictions though since its been awhile.

I appreciate the help and will hopefully be set to go!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Quick Saturday Project

So... did you finish?
g60vwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #9

Quick Saturday Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by g60vwr View Post
So... did you finish?
Sure did, Mind you all the gf is working and I have my 2 year old here with me so it does delay things.

I decided to install a wired smoke/CO2 detector in the previous fixture location. 2 birds one stone kind of thing. I still need to go to the store and grab on which is why the cover is off in the pictures.

And the pictures...

Last edited by gmhammes; 04-25-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:45 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 25

Quick Saturday Project

Looks great!
g60vwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #11

Quick Saturday Project

Thanx g60... when the bulb burned out in the old fixture, the gf asked, "why don't you just replace the bulb? I told her,
"hun, this house was built in 1979 and they don't make those bulbs anymore, guess i'll put new can lights in"
Old 04-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via Yahoo to Magnettica

Quick Saturday Project

Looks as if a professional was there! I would hope that you used IC-rated recessed lights if they were installed in an insulated attic space. So did you?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #13
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,194

Quick Saturday Project

While you made good use of the old fixture location for a smoke alarm it should be interconnected to the other smokes in the house.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
Military Mom of 4

Quick Saturday Project

Excellent job - your speed even with child amazes me!
I work with my son around during the day and have to seriously multitask - when I have to go under or in the attic he has a party. LOL

Jim - it depends on which type of smoke detector you have. Some need to be wired in fully. Others can but don't need to - and yet others aren't wired in at all.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #15

Quick Saturday Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
Looks as if a professional was there! I would hope that you used IC-rated recessed lights if they were installed in an insulated attic space. So did you?
Rated for insulation!