Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #1

Share |

Quick question: No ground bar in panel?

I recently put in two new 15A circuits in my main service panel. I ran 2 runs of 12/2 NM cable into the panel and clamped it. I do not appear to have a ground bar, nor do I appear to have other ground wires in the panel (all wires have insulation besides the 2 ground wires from the NM I just installed).

Is it likely that my conduit is acting as a ground for the existing circuits? In my main service panel, am I correct in assuming that I should just connect the 2 new grounds to my neutral bus bar? I currently have them connected there, but have not energized them and don't plan to until I get an informed opinion on this. I suppose I could tap into an existing ground from another circuit also, but would still appreciate any answers regarding how this should be approached.

Thanks!

dawho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

As long as this is your main panel and not a subpanel you can connect your grounds to the neutral bar.

You said there are no other grounds but then you ask about tapping another circuit for the ground. This does not make sense.

Is your wiring older?

Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

See my reply in your other existing thread.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
As long as this is your main panel and not a subpanel you can connect your grounds to the neutral bar.

You said there are no other grounds but then you ask about tapping another circuit for the ground. This does not make sense.

Is your wiring older?
The majority of the wiring looks original which would put it around 1970.
What I mean is that there don't appear to be individual ground leads going through the conduit, so I'm assuming that the conduit may serve as a ground back to the service panel. I do have ground wires in all of the switches/receptacles that I've inspected, which is most of them. I figured in a worst case scenario, I could run a cable between the ground wire of my new circuit and pigtail it to a an existing ground wire in a nearby receptacle, but that isn't my ideal situation.

Sounds like I'm fine running my grounds into the neutral bar in my main panel, so problem is solved as far as I'm concerned! Thanks for the help guys!
dawho1 is offline   Reply With Quote