Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
bsa_bob

Share |
Question

quick question!how do i hook these wires together???

I have A new drop light, i want to cut the old one off and install this new light.I don't want to take the light[new one] all apart to adapt it to the old ceiling reel, the reel is in great shape. i just need to cut the old light off, and re-hook up the new light cord i have. Problem is .This light gets pulled pretty hard at times what type of connection should i used, I mean is there a special type connector that will be strong enough to take getting pulled on all the time> by all means share what you may know on his.this new light has a small transistor board inside,i don't want to ruin the light by fooling around inside it.
Basically hooking two 110 lines together .....with a good solid idea here .thank you bob s

bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
JOATMON

So if we understand your question correctly....you have/had a drop light that was connected directly to a reel? And you want to put the new drop light on the existing wire?

If so...you have two choices....take apart the new one and connect the wires internally. The drop light will have the strain relief built into it.

Lacking that approach, I would look into locking connectors. HD carries them...they are typically 20A twist lock connectors designed for 120Vac drops.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
bsa_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
So if we understand your question correctly....you have/had a drop light that was connected directly to a reel? And you want to put the new drop light on the existing wire?

If so...you have two choices....take apart the new one and connect the wires internally. The drop light will have the strain relief built into it.

Lacking that approach, I would look into locking connectors. HD carries them...they are typically 20A twist lock connectors designed for 120Vac drops.

yes! the question is as you understand it. Are you talking about average wire nuts? when you say" twist lock connectors" HD.. is this short for hardware store.Then once thats accomplished..jus tape it all up. i was thinking about a mechanical connector of more strength,.. than wire nuts. I started to take the new light apart,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no dice, i'm not as adept to this as i once was.I realize that is the proper way to go,but not this time,am i off base on this mechanical hook up.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

I am sorry you are just looking for a way just to do this instead of doing this correctly.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
bsa_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
I am sorry you are just looking for a way just to do this instead of doing this correctly.

no no no! not true....I listened to dawg...went out to my garage cut all the wires [both lights], Then step wired and soldered leads respectively.Then adjusted the rubber ball stop on the reel side of this line,........rubber stopper ball is standard feature on these drop lights. "shock and stop absorbtion" i split a Short piece of rubber gas line , after shrink tubing each made connection.Taped that up with 3m tape. i don't do anything... HALF WAY!!!.I may do a job differently in some instances.........but not half way ever..............................OK? bob s thanks guys for your help
Old 05-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #6

How could anyone ansewer this question without a picture of the light?
Old 05-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

he has basically this as a replacement ..

http://www.qcsupply.com/incandescent...FQWk4AodHlIALg

and wants to connect it to a already exsisting cord that is on a real in the ceiling ....

I would look for a light that the fixture can be taken apart ...i am sure you know what to do from there try Graingers ...

garage is a "CLASS" location ....so a splice would not be the best bet
Old 05-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #8

Ddawg was talking about something like http://www.amazon.com/Amico-L14-30P-...wist+lock+plug

and it's female counterpart, which I didn't find on a quick search, but they're out there.

Also, that's a 30A and you would probably want a 20A, but it really wouldn't matter.
jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
bsa_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
How could anyone ansewer this question without a picture of the light?
philly master knew what i was talking about....right on!!!! thanks again all!.....................all is well!!!............+...............well lit!! bob s

PS~~~ Should there be any fraying or loose wires,......then i'll buy the locking wire ends as shown............i'm retired and this way, i have it,... lasted 5 or 6 years. When i was working steady out in my shop!.....Now i'm not nearly as steady out there as i used to be.

Last edited by bsa_bob; 05-27-2013 at 07:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bsa_bob For This Useful Post:
Philly Master (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 05:28 AM   #10
Electrical Contractor

was ASE Master as a youngster ...LMAO ... got my bike all torn apart .... and found the knock ...1/8" play at the crank to rod ...
bsa_bob (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 06:03 AM   #11
bsa_bob

I guess,...... i missed the point on that one??/ bob s