Quick Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Quick question

On a house can the house have electricity inside if the main grounds wire is not connected from the main

Advertisement

Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quick question

main wire grounds from the main? Not sure what you are referring to.

can you try to explain?

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #3

Quick question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap
main wire grounds from the main? Not sure what you are referring to.

can you try to explain?
The wire from street the grounds wire the silver one is not connected to the main thing on the roof side that goes down to the meter
Old 01-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Quick question

turn off all your power. The bare wire is the neutral wire. If it becomes disconnected from your house, it can cause a lot of damage in your house. Call the power company any have them fix it before turning your power back on.

I hope it's not cold where you are.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
Experienced

Quick question

The silver wire is the cable that supports the conductors, from the pole to the mast on the house, this is not a ground wire. The system has or should have a bonded ground, either a ground rod or bonded to the plumbing.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #6

Quick question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1
The system has or should have a bonded ground, either a ground rod or bonded to the plumbing.
It's cold here it's NY today was 5*F so may the house is getting from the ground rod
Old 01-25-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

Quick question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
It's cold here it's NY today was 5*F so may the house is getting from the ground rod
Nope, it's not.
The earth is NOT a useful conductor and has nothing to do with that bare neutral wire strung to your house. The only thing a ground rod does in cases like this is screw up the neighbor's electricity by energizing the dirt around it.

CALL THE POWER COMPANY ASAP!
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #8
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,382

Quick question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
The silver wire is the cable that supports the conductors, from the pole to the mast on the house, this is not a ground wire. The system has or should have a bonded ground, either a ground rod or bonded to the plumbing.
The bare silver wire is the grounded conductor (service neutral) often called the messenger cable. Though it looks like a wire rope that is supporting the insulated ungrounded conductors it is much more than that. NAP's advice is spot on.

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:55 AM   #9

Quick question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie

The bare silver wire is the grounded conductor (service neutral) often called the messenger cable. Though it looks like a wire rope that is supporting the insulated ungrounded conductors it is much more than that. NAP's advice is spot on.
So from my little idea of how electricity works I think it as to complete a cycle and the wire which I bare silver and not covered as to be in play to complete the cycle the lights work properly which I don't understand why with that wire not connected so it's like only to live insulated wires are connected and still produce electricity in the house
Old 01-25-2011, 02:49 AM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

Quick question

Quote:
So from my little idea of how electricity works I think it as to complete a cycle and the wire which I bare silver and not covered as to be in play to complete the cycle the lights work properly which I don't understand why with that wire not connected so it's like only to live insulated wires are connected and still produce electricity in the house
you will still have power but instead of 2 120 volt circuits, you have 1 240 volt circuit and it gets distributed through what should be 2 120 volt circuits based on the resistance of any given load. That means if there are two loads in series and one is 10 times the resistance of the other, one will operate on about 21 volts and the other will operate on 218 volts. over and under voltage is not good on most loads but is especially bad on electronics.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:08 AM   #11

Quick question

This the mast on the house
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2011, 03:16 AM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

Quick question

call the power company first thing in the morning. You really should not be using any 120 volt circuits. It won't affect 240 volt circuits. Hopefully your heat is a 240 volt electric heater.

You risk damaging or destroying any 120 volt device by using any of them.

that is the neutral or grounded conductor (same thing, different terms). When you call your power company, just tell them the neutral joint at your mast head has come completely disconnected.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:07 AM   #13
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,034

Quick question

Quote:
This the mast on the house
We're not kidding. Stop screwing around on the internet here, trying to learn or discuss what's going on right now. Call the power company right now. There's plenty of time LATER to learn about your power system and why things may still appear to be working right despite this problem. For now, you MUST call the power company and get this fixed.

Tell them you have an "open neutral". They will have a service truck there in minutes.

If you do not call the power company to fix this ASAP, several extremely bad things may happen at any time: Almost every electrical device in your house could be destroyed simultaneously, especially delicate electronics. Your house may catch on fire due to overheating wires and connections (that current that would normally flow through that broken connection is returning somewhere... who knows where). Finally, all the grounded metal in your house, including the water pipes, may become electrified.

An open neutral is one of the worst possible problems you can have with a house's electrical system. It is an electrical emergency, and the power should be shut off until it is fixed.

There are some explanations for why your system appears to be working just fine despite the open neutral. The bottom line is that the current that wire would normally carry is using some other path to complete the circuit, so you don't notice the problem. Most likely, the return path is through your water pipes, or through the shield of your cable TV lines. Neither of these is a good thing, and if either one fails then all of the terrible problems I described above can instantly come to life.

Get it fixed, then come back and learn about it.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (01-25-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #14

Quick question

Thanks alot they came there thing is how long I notice this and they checked the plug in the from with a plug in thing with 3lights on it I'm good now they said next time I should call them immediately they said lucky we had no lightening recent
Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #15
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quick question

Now that the problem is fixed, what made you notice it? Did you just happen to look up and see it or were there problems with you power.

Advertisement

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote