**Quick Help Please :) Simple Switch DIY - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 41
Rewards Points: 25
Default

**Quick help please :) Simple switch DIY


Hi All,

Trying to connect a flood light and realized the switch didn't work. I opened it up and see the following, how should it go? I saw some diagrams on Google but I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks... Light is currently off so I just need to finish this up....




Advertisement

jmejiaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

**Quick help please :) Simple switch DIY


Is that the switch you just took out of the box? If so, how was it wired?

Advertisement

jerrymeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 41
Rewards Points: 25
Default

**Quick help please :) Simple switch DIY


Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymeek View Post
Is that the switch you just took out of the box? If so, how was it wired?
It wasn't... I posted a pic of the box and the switch exactly as I found them... The old owner just left it like that..

The box has 2black and 2white.. I'm assuming those go on this switch, just don't know how.


lol... Those beers were drank a while ago. not now :P

Last edited by jmejiaa; 07-28-2010 at 08:02 PM.
jmejiaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 41
Rewards Points: 25
Default

**Quick help please :) Simple switch DIY


What I have researched seems to tell me the two black will go on the switch and the 2 white will stay connected as they are??
jmejiaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Electrician
 
Proby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 818
Rewards Points: 500
Default

**Quick help please :) Simple switch DIY


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmejiaa View Post
What I have researched seems to tell me the two black will go on the switch and the 2 white will stay connected as they are??
That seems logical. HOWEVER, you said earlier that the light currently does not work. So inserting the switch won't make it work either, unless you find some other reason why the light isn't working.

The switch will simply break those two black wires. But they are currently connected so the should work. That's why I suspect that there is something else going on here...
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 41
Rewards Points: 25
Default

**Quick help please :) Simple switch DIY


Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
That seems logical. HOWEVER, you said earlier that the light currently does not work. So inserting the switch won't make it work either, unless you find some other reason why the light isn't working.

The switch will simply break those two black wires. But they are currently connected so the should work. That's why I suspect that there is something else going on here...
The light does work....

What I rly meant was the light doesn't work with the switch...

Currently the floodlight is in and constantly on.
jmejiaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
Electrician
 
Proby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 818
Rewards Points: 500
Default

**Quick help please :) Simple switch DIY


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmejiaa View Post
The light does work....

What I rly meant was the light doesn't work with the switch...

Currently the floodlight is in and constantly on.
Ok, well you lied!



Just put each black on each screw of the switch and you're set. Make sure the power is off.
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 41
Rewards Points: 25
Default

**Quick help please :) Simple switch DIY


Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
Ok, well you lied!



Just put each black on each screw of the switch and you're set. Make sure the power is off.

Thanks... Switch doesn't seem to hold the wire in the hole and looks broken....Off to HD.
jmejiaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
Electrician
 
Proby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 818
Rewards Points: 500
Default

**Quick help please :) Simple switch DIY


Wrap the wire under the screws.

Or better yet, pickup two switches and a cover plate and make it look nice and new.
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 41
Rewards Points: 25
Default

**Quick help please :) Simple switch DIY


I just got a new switch... HD is 5 min away...

SUCCESS flood light installed YAY....

Now my light bulbs are just too bright and hurt my eyes.....


Thanks guys!!!

Advertisement

jmejiaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HowTo: Adding two exterior lights + switch, piggyback new switch off existing switch? ghost Electrical 14 04-19-2009 06:04 PM
Hunter Fan Dual Switch Wiring Configuration Help schierle Electrical 2 03-29-2009 09:00 PM
Wiring from light to switch and on poorjohn Electrical 3 03-16-2009 02:23 PM
single gang single pole switch on fan fabian Electrical 14 03-05-2009 02:11 AM
GFCI switch to control outside outlets billgeo Electrical 14 09-09-2008 12:09 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts