Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

QUICK ANSWER PLS concrete over UF cable

I'm putting 2 4x4 posts in the ground, set in quickcrete. I'll need to pour the concrete around, next to, and over two pieces of type UF direct buried electrical wire I buried in the same piece of ground last summer. They are 20-amp 12 gauge and a 30-amp 10 gauge cables, two conductors plus a ground, each. Each one is on its own dedicated breaker in my main panel.

I don't know what damage long term contact between concrete and type UF cable insulation would do. Am I risking damaging the circuits sometime in the future? I don't want to do that.

Can I put the concrete right in contact with the cable insulation? I'm willing to immobilize the cables by doing this. Or do I need to move the cables 6-12" to the side to get them out of the way of where the posts need to be (I can, but it'd be a LOT of extra work). Or should I put something in between them and the concrete? If I need to put something in between the concrete and the cables, what should I use? scrap plywood? good ol' duct tape around the cables? saran wrap or tin foil? just kidding...

Thx...

tomseeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

art.340 of nec say's no.

oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I'd put pvc electrical conduit (gray) through the concrete and run the wire through the conduit. That way you'd be able to replace the wire easily in the future if need be.
jayel1 is offline   Reply With Quote