DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

questions on low voltage

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cambruzzi 
#1 ·
I am doing under cabinet lights. it is the kichler linear system. i havent bought anything yet so i dont have it in front of me to figure it all out so i wanted to ask.

I will need a low voltage dimmer and transformer.
How does it normally go-- Line(120) voltage to dimmer switch then to the transformer?

the kichler linear system uses low voltage cable. do you think i could put the transformer in a central location and branch out left and right side or do i need to be at the beginning of the run?

reason im asking is i cant be longer than 30 feet of a run.

thanks

#2 ·
120V to dimmer, to transformer.

Transformer, the closer to the center the better. Voltage can drop dramatically when you start at one end.

Transformers may be magnetic or electronic. Get the proper dimmer.

Tip:
Hot wire it (wire nut hot to switch leg in the sw box) before you install the dimmer. If you have for some reason created a short circuit :jester:it will only trip the breaker and not kill an expensive dimmer.

#4 ·
Tip:
Hot wire it (wire nut hot to switch leg in the sw box) before you install the dimmer. If you have for some reason created a short circuit :jester:it will only trip the breaker and not kill an expensive dimmer.
Wow! :thumbup: That's the good stuff, and the reason I keep checking in here. I love picking up pro tips that a DIYer wouldn't necessarily think about until it's too late.

Thanks, pros!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.