Questions About Rough Wiring - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

questions about rough wiring

Hello. I am new. I did some simple wiring before. We are adding a second level to our house (3 bdr and 1 bath). After reading some wiring books and asking people around, I decided to wire it by myself. The town inspector is very nice. He helped me go through all my drawing plans.
Now, the framing is finished. It is time to get real. Questions keep popping up. I realize it is not so easy and definitely need help.

I opened up one wall on the first floor (because it's a older house, lots of surprises inside the wall), drilled couple 5/8" holes and run 2 wire each hole from the panel in the basement up to second floor. Do I have to staple all the wires to the first floor studs or just let them hang there?

On the second floor, my builder ran some 13 under across the ceiling joists. Does that mean I have to install my recessive lights and ceiling boxes 1" lower? Otherwise their edge will be covered by the sheet rock.

I drilled holes in the middle of second floor ceiling joists too and run my wire through them to separate rooms. This morning, my builder told me I can just staple my wires underneath the ceiling joists. Is that true? If it is, it will save me lots of efforts to drill through them.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

FanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

All of my work is in pipe so I don't have nearly as much experience with NM cable as many others on this site but I'll try as best as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanZ View Post
I opened up one wall on the first floor (because it's a older house, lots of surprises inside the wall), drilled couple 5/8" holes and run 2 wire each hole from the panel in the basement up to second floor. Do I have to staple all the wires to the first floor studs or just let them hang there?
The the wall is opened and there is access to the studs then I believe that you are required to secure as if it was new construction. Even if not, I'd go ahead and do it anyway.

Quote:
On the second floor, my builder ran some 13 under across the ceiling joists. Does that mean I have to install my recessive lights and ceiling boxes 1" lower? Otherwise their edge will be covered by the sheet rock.
Per 314.20 of the NEC, the set back of a ceiling or wall box cannot exceed 1/4" for non-combustible materials. New construction recessed lighting fixtures typically allow the can to be adjusted downward. In your case though, I'd simply install additional strips of 1x3 on the joist edges where you intend on installing the ceiling boxes or cans.

Quote:
I drilled holes in the middle of second floor ceiling joists too and run my wire through them to separate rooms. This morning, my builder told me I can just staple my wires underneath the ceiling joists. Is that true? If it is, it will save me lots of efforts to drill through them.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that you have to maintain at least 1-1/4" clearance from the nailing face of the framing/furring. This is to protect the cable from inadvertent penetrations from nails, screws, etc.

If your local inspector is as nice as you say, I'd simply ask him.

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

Quote:

Yes you do, the wall is open take the 2 or 3 staples and make it secure then when you put the drywall backon it won't be in your way.

Yes you do. So any boxes should be hanging down 1" plus the thickness of your drywall so they are flush with the drywall.

I am not sure if you could or not, there would be room for them. I would rather go through the joist and then there is no worry of the drwallers pinching them or putting a screw through the wire.

Thanks in advance.
hope this helps
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I bought some cable stackers. They said it can stack up to 5 cables at one time. Can I use it?

Fortunately, I only have 2 lights installed. I will lower all of them down.

I am not very comfortable about running the cable under the joist, too. What if I nail through it in the future. I think I will get back to my drill.

Thank you all.
FanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

If you have room, you can lay the wires on top of the joist and staple them.