DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Question with wiring up a flood light.

18K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Termite 
#1 ·
I just bought a Motion sensor flood light from HD. This is my first time working on a home electrical besides replacing the receptacle at home. I don't really know much about home electrical but I work at lot in the 12v world,(computer and car audio).

On the flood light, it has 3 wires, Black, White and a bare cooper wire. I know that black is hot, white is neutral and bare cooper is ground.

The problem is the place where I want to put the flood light has no electrical power wire on it. The closest light fixture is at my front door and that is about 20 feet away. I also have a receptacle inside the garage but I will have to drill a hole from the outside to the inside. That is no problem, but I don't know if I can get a wire to just plug those 3 wires from the flood lights to the plug.

My question is, can I tape into the wires from my light fixture in the front door. If I do that, what type(gauge) wire should I buy? Or is there a kit that allows me to run the wire?

My other question is, is there a way that I can make the flood light plug into the receptacle plug.

Or what other ways can I wire the flood light safely.

Thank you
SAi♠

See less See more
#3 ·
I check that link and checked out all the sub links and I didn't find anything that explained about installing a flood lamp without using existing wires. At the moment I do not want to hire an electrician. I believe I can do this myself if someone tell how to do it safely.

#4 ·
There are so many variables that will make or break this installation. If you had an existing fixture at that location and wanted to replace it, I feel we could definately assist you with this. The job you're describing is somewhat complex.

However, I feel that this is too much of a job for someone without the fundamental understanding of household current and wiring methods. If you do something wrong, the worst thing that can happen isn't a non-functional light...It is a house fire or an electrocution.

There's a time to DIY and a time to someone that knows what they're doing do the job with you, so you're more capable next time something electrical comes up. I feel we'd be negligent in giving you any advice besides telling you to involve an electrician.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.