Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #1

Share |

Question on wiring a hanging fluor. light

Hi,
I'm new.
I'm pretty handy and I know how I could do this, but I'm pretty sure I would not be following code.

So what I have is a garage with a 2 plug receptacle in the ceiling. I have a garage door opener plugged into that right now. I have one free outlet.

I want to put up 2 hanging fluorescent lamps (2'x4') within 1 foot of each other for a nicely lit area. How do I get power to these 2 lights?
  1. Do I plug wire both and use a multi-plug in the one open outlet?
  2. Do I wire light #1 into #2, then plug wire #2 and run it to the open outlet?
  3. Do I hard wire #1 into #2, the hardwire #2 into the outlet and convert the garage door opener to a hard wire?
  4. other...
Any help is appreciated, and thank you in advance.
-B-

camass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #2

Easy fix use Multi plug adapter with a built in power-interrupter which will allow each unit to be protected by any surge

Alcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcarte View Post
Easy fix use Multi plug adapter with a built in power-interrupter which will allow each unit to be protected by any surge
Camass how do you plan to turn the lights on and off?

@ Alcarte, why would I want to put a surge protector on a coupla lights in my garage???
AndyinAtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #4

Most shop lights are pull string so that's how the lights can be turned off if not no problem, the surge for me is my personal protection and it's only a few bucks more than a plain adapter, however if the shop lights are direct plugin you can use a Multi plug remote module the that you can plug into which will allow the shop lights to be controlled by there own remote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #5

I fabricate light boxes, the remote is a real nice touch
Old 01-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #6

Thats cool. I bet you are good at it. But I still don't see how a surge protector is going to provide personal protection???
Andy-n-ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinAtl View Post
Camass how do you plan to turn the lights on and off?
The outlet is already wired to a wall switch. While I realize this means the garage door opener is also switched at the same time, I am ok with that. The garage is used as a studio and I seldom open the door.
camass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

[quote=Alcarte;.............. the surge for me is my personal protection and it's only a few bucks more..........[/quote]

Why would you think a surge protector offers any personal protection?
Old 01-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #9

That's my personal preference, whenever I use a Multi plug adapter it always has a built in surge, I've never had an issue with taking extra measures, it's always good to be safe then sorry!
Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 AM   #10
Scared Electrician

the point that we are trying to convey is that it does not provide any personal protection period. however it does provide equipment protection. tho my experience is that they do not provide reliable surge protection. Tho by all means knock yourself out. It won't hurt anything

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #11

Just get a multiplug adapter and/or extension cord. Some power strips (one piece units comprising the aforementioned) have built in surge protectors.

If you want to get fancy at a later date, install a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI). This offers personal protection. This may take the form of a circuit breaker that you substitute for use on that circuit, down at your breaker panel, or a unit that has two receptacles that you substitute in the outlet box in the ceiling. In the latter case, if it should trip, you would have to get on a stool and reach up to the ceiling to push the reset button.

Getting still fancier at a yet future date, if you decide to install additional circuits and/or receptacles in your garage without "finishing" the garage into living space and eliminating forever the ability to park there, these receptacles must be GFCI protected.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-30-2011 at 08:19 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #12
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
If you want to get fancy at a later date, install a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI). This offers personal protection. This may take the form of a circuit breaker that you substitute for use on that circuit, down at your breaker panel, or a unit that has two receptacles that you substitute in the outlet box in the ceiling. In the latter case, if it should trip, you would have to get on a stool and reach up to the ceiling to push the reset button.
Under the 2011 NEC the GFI must be readily accessible. Ceiling mounted will not be an option.