Question On Running New Circuit From Outside Panel. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old Today, 03:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 66

Question on running new circuit from outside panel.

Good afternoon.

So I need to run a new dedicated circuit for the squirrel cage on our HVAC. It currently shares a circuit with the receptacle in the living room that powers our entertainment center, as well as the lights on the porch, the carport, and the overhead light in the garage.

I know this because lately when the AC, front lights, and television are all on the breaker will trip sometimes.

Been reading up on, and am relatively comfortable with the concept of running the cable and connecting it at either end. I have installed light fixtures, fans, replaced switches, receptacles, and a breaker switch before.

My main question is transitioning from the panel, which is outside, through the exterior wall down into the crawlspace.

When I looked to my existing setup for clues, I found this:
I'm no professional, but this just looks to me... What's the word I'm looking for here, oh yeah, WRONG.

Seems like there should be something covering the cable as it passes from the LB into the wall there.

My question is, specifically what should I use? I am also assuming I should caulk up the opening around whatever it is I need.

Any and all information is appreciated.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get cozy with my copy of Wiring Simplified.

Advertisement

Cullen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 40

1/2" x 2" nipple, unless that is a 3/4" lb

Advertisement

AfterShockews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 66

Thanks. Good to know. I would be using a new bit of conduit and lb for the new circuit, I was just uncertain of the proper way to transition from the panel through the exterior wall.
Cullen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:16 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,304

Do not plan on using NM cable. It is not for use outside.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote