DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Question regarding code (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/question-regarding-code-30340/)

joey b 10-21-2008 04:50 PM

Question regarding code
 
I plan to wire my garage but have a couple of questions. I plan to wire it for 60 amps and have less than 50 feet to run to the garage subpanel. I'm thinking of running THHN/THWN wire in 1" schedule 40. Will 1" be large enough for 4- #6 wires? The #6 wire that I have found is only available as 100'. Can I run two black hots and a white neutral+ white ground (or somehow coded ground)? As far as the GFCI in the garage, do I need to have GFCI circuit breakers or will the GFCI outlets suffice? Also, the city I live in says that no homeowner can do ANY electrical work and the hired contractor must be from the local city (kinda funny, the company owners also make up the electrical union :mad:). I'll address that in another thread though.

Cow 10-21-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey b (Post 174904)
I plan to wire my garage but have a couple of questions. I plan to wire it for 60 amps and have less than 50 feet to run to the garage subpanel. I'm thinking of running THHN/THWN wire in 1" schedule 40. Will 1" be large enough for 4- #6 wires? The #6 wire that I have found is only available as 100'. Can I run two black hots and a white neutral+ white ground (or somehow coded ground)? As far as the GFCI in the garage, do I need to have GFCI circuit breakers or will the GFCI outlets suffice? Also, the city I live in says that no homeowner can do ANY electrical work and the hired contractor must be from the local city (kinda funny, the company owners also make up the electrical union :mad:). I'll address that in another thread though.

Apparently, the electrical contractor you're required to use will be the one to worry about which color wires you need to pull.

joey b 10-21-2008 09:42 PM

disregarding that (my point went on a tangent), is what I described code? The garage is detached.

220/221 10-22-2008 12:37 AM

1" conduit is fine.

Ground wire must be green or bare.

GFCI outlets are fine.

The law doesn't sound right if it's your house and only you are living in it. Rentals or multi family, I can understand. That is the case in many places. Call a lawyer.

jbfan 10-22-2008 05:27 AM

You can also use a #10 green wire for the ground.

Speedy Petey 10-22-2008 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey b (Post 174904)
The #6 wire that I have found is only available as 100'.

The contractor you hire will be able to buy this wire in lengths from 1' to 1000'+.

jerryh3 10-22-2008 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey (Post 175146)
The contractor you hire will be able to buy this wire in lengths from 1' to 1000'+.

Most big box stores carry 500' rolls. Around $250 here. I bought a 225' roll off of ebay for $90 last week.

joey b 10-25-2008 12:26 AM

well I plan on taking other avenues that will allow me to do the work myself. Could I also use aluminum 2-2-2-4 SER wire run in PVC for this project? Also, if I run THWN, can I have 2 blacks that are both hot, or must one be red. Could I fully strip the wire that will be ground or does ground wire have some different makeup than sheathed wire.

handyman78 10-25-2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey b (Post 174904)
The #6 wire that I have found is only available as 100'.

Where are you shopping? Major home stores (Lowes, HD) carry the pre-boxed smaller sized (higher priced 50 & 100'), rolls of 250' and 500' as well as "buy as much as you need" measure and go from the large reels. Also, ground wire is either bare or green colored.

J. V. 10-25-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey b (Post 176566)
well I plan on taking other avenues that will allow me to do the work myself. Could I also use aluminum 2-2-2-4 SER wire run in PVC for this project? Also, if I run THWN, can I have 2 blacks that are both hot, or must one be red. Could I fully strip the wire that will be ground or does ground wire have some different makeup than sheathed wire.

You will never get the AL SE in the 1" conduit, and it would be a violation of the conduit fill rule.

For THHN; Yes, both hot feeder wires can be black or red or a combination. You do not need to strip anything. Get green for the ground and mark the neutral with white tape if your AHJ will allow it. Otherwise you will need a white wire for the neutral.

chris75 10-25-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. V. (Post 176653)
You will never get the AL SE in the 1" conduit, and it would be a violation of the conduit fill rule.

.


Not only that, SER is not allowed underground, even when installed in conduit.

220/221 10-25-2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

1" conduit is fine.

Gah! I meant 3/4 inch.

Use the conduit and thwn.

Both hots can be black.

You can strip the ground.

You may get by with marking the wires with colored tape. It IS a violation but, IMO, not a serious one. Ive seen it done countless times and can't see any danger. I have had it pass inspection many times. I didn't even know it was a violation until a knowledgeable inspector pointed it out, and passed it. If I was doing an inspected job I wouldn't do it because I hate doing things twice. Home Depot sells wire cut to length.

Cow 10-25-2008 03:44 PM

I find it almost comical that some of the very people replying to this thread, the ones who are usually concerned with not violating code are telling him how to do the job even though it is illegal for him to do so.

DangerMouse 10-25-2008 04:05 PM

little experience + no permit + no inspection = 911 is ok to call for the fire department, right?

good point Cow

DM

joey b 10-25-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey b (Post 176566)
well I plan on taking other avenues that will allow me to do the work myself.

This does not mean that I plan on doing anything illegal. I plan on having a permit and having it inspected, but thanks for the assumptions. BTW, even if someone was going to do it themselves, I highly suggest you give NO advice to do it safely. People who don't plan to abide by laws will just wing it and hope that all goes well. I likely have somebody who will pull a permit for me and double check the work before the official inspector comes to do the final sign off. I also plan on looking more into the city's policies. Thanks to those of you who have helped.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved