Question Regarding Bonding Wires - Ontario Code? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2010, 12:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question regarding bonding wires - Ontario Code?

I live in Ontario and I am finishing my basement. I had the inspector in after running all the wires. At the time I ran the wires into all the boxes and I removed the sheathing and then wrapped up the black/white/bare wires and tucked them back into the box.

In the boxes where there were 4 wires (2 black, 2 white) going into them, he said that I only need one bare/copper wire hanging out to connect the outlets. As a result, I went and cut off the extra wire in each box (after connecting them to the second grounding screw.

Now, I have connected the outlets as follows:
- white black from wire set 1 connected to outlet
- white/black from wire set 2 connected to outlet
- copper wire 1 connected to screw 1 with it also extending 6" out of the box and connects to the ground screw on the outlet.
- copper wire 2 connect to the 2nd ground screw and cut off
** I'm using metal boxes.

I have been reading in the "Electrical Code Simplified" book and it shows that with metal gang boxes I'm suppose to connect copper wire 1 to screw, then follow through and cap it to the copper wire from the other wire set, then pig tail it to the outlet.

I have not had the inspector back to complete my final inspection yet, but I would like to know if this is okay. I'm attaching a diagram of what I currently have.

If anyone knows if this is unsafe or in contradiction to the Ontario Electrical Code, please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Question regarding bonding wires - Ontario Code?-diagram.jpg  

Advertisement

jim.thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I don't think you will have any issue at all but just hang on one of the Canada guys will show up one way or other they will confirm you on this matter.

For me that just pass it just fine like that.

Merci.
Marc

Advertisement

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:30 AM   #3

Thank for the input. I figured it was safe, but if any Canada/Ontario guys can confirm, I would appreciate it.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

As far as bonding, it'll work. Your inspector might not like the short length of the conductor, though.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #5

When I say that it is cut off at the screw, it is probably .5 to .75" past the screw. I wanted to make sure that it didn't slip out.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,498

You are fine as long as you leave one ground wire long, which you did. That is the way it is done in Ontario. This quote is direct from the ESA site.

http://www.esasafe.com/faqs.htm

Quote:
Question
Where there is more than one bare ground wire entering a box what are the acceptable methods for bonding and splicing these and connecting them to the receptacle. Can one wire be left long and run straight to the bonding screw on the receptacle with the other wire(s) wound around this wire or does there have to be a pigtail and an insulated cap in all cases?

Answer
There are two methods that are considered Code compliant.

The first is the pigtail connection. One of the bond conductors is looped around the outlet box bonding screw and left long enough to be connected together with the other bond wires and with a pigtail that goes to the receptacle bonding screw. The wires must be joined together using a suitable wire connector.

Note- there are manufactured wire connectors available that incorporate a "built in pigtail".

Note that twisting the bond wires together without a wire connector does not comply with the Code.

The second method can be done with metal boxes that have two bond screws in the back with a raised metal ridge on either side of the screws. Each bond conductor may be terminated by laying it under and on one side of the screw in such a manner that the tightening of the screw will pull the conductor rather than push it (note- only two bonding conductors per screw can be done in this manner). Each bond conductor may have any excess cut off with the exception of one which is connected to the bonding screw of the receptacle (note this conductor must be at least 150 mm or 6" long between the box bond screw and the receptacle bond screw).

Rule 10-906.

Last edited by joed; 08-17-2010 at 09:25 AM.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joed For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #7

Thank you... I appreciate all the input.

Advertisement