Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #1

Share |

question moving light switch

in my bathroom i have a switch to operate the fan and on the opposite wall i have a switch to operate the light. i want to move the light switch next to the fan switch. i have a basement, and would like to run the wires down the walls and through the basement, but i don't know how to figure out where the walls are from underneath.

niemie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Find a landmark that you can see in the bathroom and the basement, like a pipe coming through the floor. You can measure from it to the wall, hen do the same in the basement. Add two inches and drill up. You should be in the wall.

Or, take small drill bit and drill a hole at the edge of the base trim at the floor. Then push a wire through that you can se from the basement. When you find the wire, go a couple inches more and drill up. This is the method I personally prefer.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Or, take small drill bit and drill a hole at the edge of the base trim at the floor. Then push a wire through that you can se from the basement. When you find the wire, go a couple inches more and drill up. This is the method I personally prefer.
That's also my preferred method, unless his bathroom floor is ceramic tile.

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #4

my bathroom has tile halfway up the wall, so drilling from there was not available. when drilling up from the basement i was running into mortar, so i was concerned that i was drilling into my bathroom floor. i cut out a piece of the bedroom wall on the other side to see if i could drill down and there is mortar on the floor in between the walls. there is no drywall on the bathroom side, only a screen and the mortar from the tiles came through and collected on the floor. what is the easiest way to get through this?
niemie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Since you already opened up the wall, just drill down into the basement with a long masonry bit. If you do not have one, chisel the masonry out first then drill. But you may find the same situation on the other side of the room by the fan switch.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote