A Question Mexico Electrical Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

a question Mexico electrical question

I'm in Mexico and I was in my hotel looking at the outlets. Just out of curiosity, why are the outlets in Mexico placed horizontal instead of the vertical ways we do it in the states. All the light on/off switches are normal like USA and placed vertical.

Placing a outlet vertical would be more logical since they are attached to the stud. So when they place it horizontal, it would actually make them weaker. So there has to be reason for it.

Advertisement

stanlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlam View Post
I'm in Mexico and I was in my hotel looking at the outlets. Just out of curiosity, why are the outlets in Mexico placed horizontal instead of the vertical ways we do it in the states. All the light on/off switches are normal like USA and placed vertical.

Placing a outlet vertical would be more logical since they are attached to the stud. So when they place it horizontal, it would actually make them weaker. So there has to be reason for it.
I don't know about the construction methods in Mexico, but here in the Good Ol' US of A and in Canada the Dry wall boxes are attached to the stud and the Adaptor plate can be turned either way to have the outlets positioned Horizontally or Vertically. (If that is what you had in mind.)!

Advertisement

spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

It is actually really common to see horizontal receptacles in the US, especially in high-end homes. They often put them in the baseboards.

As for the reasoning for what you saw in Mexico...No idea. Regional preference I suppose.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote