DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Question on Grounding 3-Gang Metal Box

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  darren 
#1 ·
Background :
- New House (Build 2011)
- Located in Ontario/Canada
- Basement Renovating Project

I have an existing 2 Gang Metal Box that house two light switches. I have replaced that with a 3 Gang Metal Box to add an additional light switch.

The builder had previously connected each bare cable to its own screw and did not bond all the bare cables together using a wire nut. The electrical code states you can connect one bare cable to a screw and bond the remainder bare cables to it using a wire nut.

I can't seam to find any information on whether or not it is acceptable to do what the builder had originally done. Basically attach each bare cable to its own screw and not bond them together with a wire nut. I'm asking because this would save me some room in the box.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

#4 ·
Put one under every screw and cut them flush, if you need to ground a switch leave one long enough after going under the screw to reach the switch.

Most ground screws can accept two wires as well, there is usually two raised pieces next to the screw, put one wire on each side and tighten it down.

Basically attach each bare cable to its own screw and not bond them together with a wire nut. I'm asking because this would save me some room in the box.
The fact they are both securely attached to the METAL box means they are bonded together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.