Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question: BNC cables through attic (studs to wall, or ceiling drywall?)

Hi all,

I just found your forums and I love it. I feel bad starting off asking for help, but I appreciate your feedback. I hope this is a fair choice of sub-forum.

I'm installing security cameras (cctv) and running BNC cable through my attic to my bedroom. I want to make the right choice.

I'm concerned about how I will drop the cables into my bedroom. Drilling down a stud into an interior wall is not a choice due to access (see image). So it's either A) drilling down a stud into an exterior wall, or B) dropping down the ceiling.

In either case, I'd be making the cables enter my bedroom about 3 feet away from the corner/interior wall of the adjacent bedroom. I wish I could more easily access that wall to drop the cables there, but the attic's ceiling (i.e. roof) tapers off at an angle preventing me from working that way.

I figure the risks are:
Choice A) weakening a horizontal stud with an oval hole (.75 x 1.5", enough for the width of the 8 BNC cables.
Choice B) dropping down the ceiling may create challenges for keeping out the blown-insulation from the attic?

In Choice A, I'm a little confused, when inspecting the stud from above. In watching online DIY videos, I typically see that a stud is laid flat horizontally (I have 4" of width to drill down). But from above in this instance, it appears the stud is laid the other way, with only 2" of width for me to drill down, unless half was hidden by the attic wall board.

If there's a good solution for Choice B's risk of blown insulation falling (and perhaps heating concerns), then I'd happily go that route. In such a case, can I still effectively use the wall box and wall plate on the ceiling drywall?

Thanks,
Brian

(external image link, if attachment fails: http://oi50.tinypic.com/2058bdc.jpg )
Attached Images

eatmyturf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

well choice b would be to just move the insulation out of the way do what you have to do and reseal the hole put insulation back in ...

chioce a use a right angle drill ... or make a slit in the drywall in the bedroom in that stud bay ... say 3 " wide by 12" long about 5" down from the ceiling ... then drill up ... and move the insulation out of the way do what you have to do and reseal the hole put insulation back in ...

at the top of the wall there is usually 2 2x4 2x6's ... so you'll have 3" to drill through ...

Philly Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks!

Part of my question in choice B is how to reseal it without a mess. Expanding foam work okay for this?

In your comments about choice A, I'm honestly struggling to follow the incomplete sentences.
eatmyturf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmyturf View Post
Hi all,

I just found your forums and I love it. I feel bad starting off asking for help, but I appreciate your feedback. I hope this is a fair choice of sub-forum.

I'm installing security cameras (cctv) and running BNC cable through my attic to my bedroom. I want to make the right choice.

I'm concerned about how I will drop the cables into my bedroom. Drilling down a stud into an interior wall is not a choice due to access (see image). So it's either A) drilling down a stud into an exterior wall, or B) dropping down the ceiling.

In either case, I'd be making the cables enter my bedroom about 3 feet away from the corner/interior wall of the adjacent bedroom. I wish I could more easily access that wall to drop the cables there, but the attic's ceiling (i.e. roof) tapers off at an angle preventing me from working that way.

use a right angle drill

I figure the risks are:
Choice A) weakening a horizontal stud ( its called THE PLATE/PLATES )with an oval hole (.75 x 1.5", enough for the width of the 8 BNC cables.
Choice B) dropping down the ceiling may create challenges for keeping out the blown-insulation from the attic?

In Choice A, I'm a little confused, when inspecting the stud from above. In watching online DIY videos, I typically see that a stud is laid flat horizontally (I have 4" of width to drill down). But from above in this instance, it appears the stud is laid the other way, with only 2" of width for me to drill down, unless half was hidden by the attic wall board.

If there's a good solution for Choice B's risk of blown insulation falling (and perhaps heating concerns), then I'd happily go that route. In such a case, can I still effectively use the wall box and wall plate on the ceiling drywall?

Thanks,
Brian

(external image link, if attachment fails: http://oi50.tinypic.com/2058bdc.jpg )

does that help ?

yes expanding foam .. would work ...

or and you can make the hole big enough to sleeve it with some PVC
Philly Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,208

Why not just go with wireless camera's, like the Trendnet Cloud series. You can still sync them with a NAS that is capable of recording from the cameras on the network. As for pulling the RG-59, go to your Lowe's or Home Depot and get a 12' or 15' set of "Fish Sticks", and a flex bit with the three 4 foot extensions.

Believe me, both come in handy, when pulling cables down walls from attics, or up from basements/crawlspaces.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote