Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question: Backfeeding Gen thru Pull-Out Disconnect and GFCI (with interlock kit)

Hi All -

A few questions please.

Current specs:
- Crouse-Hinds 200a Main Panel LC230MC, Model 14, Type G, Class CTL

- Original breakers are type MP
- 50/50 GFCI 2-pole breaker in panel (50 amps at 240)
- Pull-Out Non-fused Disconnect on 50/50 circuit on outside of house

The above circuit was installed for an outdoor hot tub which is no longer there. The pull-out disconnect is still installed on the outside of the house and is wired to the 50/50 GFCI breaker in the panel. Breaker is off and disconnect is in off position.

I want to convert this available circuit to an L14-30 inlet for use with a portable generator.

I KNOW I need to install an interlock kit in the panel to ensure no backfeeding to the power company and I've found the correct kit to buy.

Questions:

1. Can I install a L14-30 inlet such that the pull-out disconnect is between the inlet and the mains panel? Can I backfeed through the disconnect? I'm thinking since the disconnect is already installed, it's one more layer of safety to leave it in place.

2. Can I backfeed through the 50/50 GFCI breaker or should I replace it with a non-GFCI 50/50 breaker? If I need to replace it, can anyone suggest a replacement breaker model number and buying source.

Thanks in advance for your help.

diyfram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

Question: Backfeeding Gen thru Pull-Out Disconnect and GFCI (with interlock kit)

How will an interlock kit work on a sub panel? You need to back feed the main panel. I see no way to use an interlock on a sub panel to back feed the house.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can NOT backfeed a GFCI breaker. Doing so will let the smoke out....

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

The disconnect is useless. Remove it and install the proper inlet. I would remove the 2P 50A GFI and replace it with a 2P 30A breaker. I like to size the generator backfeed breaker to the size of the generator max output. That way, you only have to go to the panel to reset the breaker and not outside to the generator (99% of homes here have basements).

You will probably need to move the generator backfeed breaker to a different position in the panel to make the interlock work properly.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
J. V. (11-02-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Hi All -

Thanks for the replies.

J.V. - I don't have a sub-panel, just a 200amp main panel. The interlock would be installed on the main panel.

Kbsparky - Thanks. I've bought a new 50/50 non-GFCI replacement for the existing GFCI breaker.

K_buz - Removing the disconnect is easy and leaves a very nice box to install the inlet into. I think I'll go for the CS6375 50amp inlet since the circuit wiring is already in place for 50amp service and it gives me flexibility for the future. I'll just need a 30amp L14-30 Male plug to 50amp CS6364 Female adapter to connect a 30amp generator to the 50amp inlet. That shouldn't be too difficult to find.

And yes, I have to move the breaker from the bottom of the panel up to the top so the interlock kit will work properly. There's plenty of slack to move the breaker up but I'm not sure there's enough slack to move the top breaker to the bottom. I'll find out when I finally take the front off the main panel.

Thanks again.
diyfram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,078

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyfram View Post
but I'm not sure there's enough slack to move the top breaker to the bottom. I'll find out when I finally take the front off the main panel.

Thanks again.
If you are in the states you can extend the wire(s) using wirenuts.
zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
How will an interlock kit work on a sub panel? You need to back feed the main panel. I see no way to use an interlock on a sub panel to back feed the house.
Why can't you use an interlock kit on a sub panel? It would work perfectly fine, and it's 100% legal. This is done very often.

You wouldn't be "feeding the entire house", of course, just the circuits on the sub panel.
Hundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hundred View Post
Why can't you use an interlock kit on a sub panel? It would work perfectly fine, and it's 100% legal. This is done very often.

You wouldn't be "feeding the entire house", of course, just the circuits on the sub panel.
That is my point. Only the sub panel loads could be used. The main panel would be off limits. That would not work in 90% of the homes.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote