DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Question about wiring outlets together

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  LawnGuyLandSparky 
#1 ·
I'm new around here, go easy on me.

I'm in the process of wiring my basement. I have 7 outlets to wire together. It is my understanding that I run a wire from the power supply down to the first outlet in the circuit and then just go from outlet to outlet until I reach the furthest outlet. Is this correct???

Also, I will have 7 outlets total on this circuit with 12/2 wire. Do I need to use 15 or 20 amp outlets?? Would 20 amp outlets be worth the added cost??? They will be general purpose outlets with two of them serving for home theater applications (TV, receiver, DVD, blah blah) Oh, and none of these will be bathroom electrical.

Thanks for the help. -Pat

#2 · (Edited)
Yes you are correct in your thinking. Use 15 amp outlets on your branch circuit. Put your 12/2 g on a 20 amp breaker.

20 amp receptacles are only used for specific equipment in residences so unless you have cord and plug equipment that has 20 amp (nema 5-20R) plugs you don't need them.

On the chance you are in Canada then you must use 20 amp receptacles on 20 amp branch circuits.

The USA allows either 15 and/or 20 amp receptacles.

Do you need a diagram for reference?

#4 ·
What the other folks said....

Also.... If your TV Cluster will remain in the same room location (due to room design), may I suggest your "general purpuse" outlets be on one circuit. And, your TV Cluster be on a different circuit - like 12/2 using 20A breaker. As time goes on, one keeps adding more and more devices to your TV Cluster outlet. Thus, eliminating circuit overload - if all devices were on the same circuit. For example: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/Spike99-Pictures/Misc%20Pictures/ElectricalOutlet-Before.jpg

Hope this 2 x circuits (general purpuse and dedicate for TV Cluster) recommendation helps as well....

#6 ·
A better option is load diversity. Install 2 duplexes for the entertainment area, put one of them and 3 room outlets on one circuit, and the other media outlet and the 3 remaining room outlets on the other.

'
What the other folks said....

Also.... If your TV Cluster will remain in the same room location (due to room design), may I suggest your "general purpuse" outlets be on one circuit. And, your TV Cluster be on a different circuit - like 12/2 using 20A breaker. As time goes on, one keeps adding more and more devices to your TV Cluster outlet. Thus, eliminating circuit overload - if all devices were on the same circuit. For example: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/Spike99-Pictures/Misc Pictures/ElectricalOutlet-Before.jpg

Hope this 2 x circuits (general purpuse and dedicate for TV Cluster) recommendation helps as well....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.