DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

question about wiring basement with garage panel

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  1acman 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have a question on which panel to use to finish off my 2800 sq ft basement. The 200 amp panel in the basement only has a few spaces left in it, where as the detached garage has 1/2 to 3/4 of all spaces left in it. I do have a few conduits run under ground from the garage to the basement, I installed these when I built the garage due to the driveway is between the two structures. The basement will also have 2800 ft finished which will include 2 bathes, 1 bedroom, 1 office, a wet bar, kitchen, game room and living room with projector and stereo. Which panel should I pull the sub panel off of?
Thanks

#3 ·
An electrician thought I would have to upgrade my service to 400 amps and install another 200 amp panel for the basement due to the amount of circuits and appliances that are being installed. That is why I thought about getting the service off the garage meter/panel. Is it against code to take power from a different location (separate meter) and run back to main dwelling? Would wafer breakers be an option or would that possibly overload the panel?
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.