Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #1

Share |

Question about tandem breaker

So I have a 15 AMP tandem breaker in the panel that has me a little concerned. The first circuit of the tandem breaker is powering the refrigerator drawing 8.50 AMPS. The second circuit on the tandem breaker is powering the garbage disposal and dishwasher. The GB is drawing 7 AMPS and the dishwasher is drawing 8.1AMPS.

My question is does the breaker share 15AMPS total between these 3 devices or does each circuit have 15 AMPS total?

word2yamutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by word2yamutha View Post
So I have a 15 AMP tandem breaker in the panel that has me a little concerned. The first circuit of the tandem breaker is powering the refrigerator drawing 8.50 AMPS. The second circuit on the tandem breaker is powering the garbage disposal and dishwasher. The GB is drawing 7 AMPS and the dishwasher is drawing 8.1AMPS.

My question is does the breaker share 15AMPS total between these 3 devices or does each circuit have 15 AMPS total?
each tandem has a 12 amp rating but as breakers trip on heat it might serve you better to swap the fridge to a full size breaker.,

Old 07-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #3

Not sure if this has any significance, but when I bought the house (its a foreclosure) the original dishwasher and the GB that came with the house didn't work. Not sure if that is due to a power issue or negligence to the appliances.
word2yamutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by word2yamutha View Post

It is to separate breakers of 15 amps each. Not a total of 15 amps in one unit. You are fine as long as you are not overloading that one leg too much, that you have that tandem on. Then you end up with a imbalance, that one leg has a higher draw on it, then the other.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote