Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #1

Share |

Question about small storage for misc screws..

So, I've been wondering about how you guys all store your screws that you generally use, most commonly. I'm not talking about things in bulk like for drywall screws which usually are separate but things like different length screws for screwing receptacles into boxes that need just that little extra length or if you've lost plate screws for the receptacle covers etc.

I know Home Depot sells plastic storage compartment bins for things like this, as well as in their electrical department they have multi-electrician's screw packages with small plastic bins that separate the screws. My issue is that I have no use for the ivory or light almond screws that come in that pack as we always use white on any replacements my family does and their smallest blank compartment bin is about 2-3 times as big as I really need it to be.

It's a lousy image but this is similar to what I'm searching for: http://www.amazon.com/GARDNER-BENDER...9&sr=8-2-fkmr0

Any advice, tips, on places to look for similar storage options or on what you guys do?
scyarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Check small tackle boxes.
Small ones that hold a few flies or lures does the trick.
Code05 (11-01-2011), LeviDIY (11-02-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

In craft store you can find little ziplock type bags. Sort them by size, etc. and hang them by type on a pegboard. Ditto for washers etc.

I'd like to take credit for this idea, but I read it here quite some time ago.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
Code05 (11-01-2011), LeviDIY (11-02-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
JOATMON

I prefer the 'briefcase' style parts cases. I have different cases for different tasks.

For example, one case is all picture hanging and wall anchor stuff. If I or my wife want to hang something....grab that case....even has drill bits for the wall anchors.

I made this little rack to hold them.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
josall (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #5

In my service truck I have taken jars and screwed the lids to a 2x4 that hangs from a shelf. I have baby food jars and jars of larger sizes. The only drawback is forgetting to tighten the jar tight, and it vibrates loose..
Hobby lobby, Michaels and pearls sell small plastic compartmented boxes. Rubbermaid sells a storage system with several tip-out bins. Great for the house, bad for the road though.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Master of Cold For This Useful Post:
LeviDIY (11-02-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #6

For small screws, I use pill bottles. They all have lids which are child proof, meaning they won't come off accidently. But those "briefcase" style are hard to beat if you ave a lot to store.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #7

Yup. I wa thinking about the briefcase stle but I currently have a very small selection to carry that I need often times. Like, a quarter of the size that they are from Depot. I checked out Michaels, saw what I was looking for but honestly, I think the plastic isn't beefy enough (with enough opening and closing, the plastic molded on latch would fail for sure). I'm considering just getting some wood together and making one. I really only need a few 3-5 compartments. Then I can always fix it if anything breaks the biggest issue would be what size wood and hinges to use. They'd have to be smallish to keep it a decent weight I think.
scyarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #8

The plastic is going to break. That's why I buy extras.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyarch View Post
Yup. I wa thinking about the briefcase stle but I currently have a very small selection to carry that I need often times. Like, a quarter of the size that they are from Depot. I checked out Michaels, saw what I was looking for but honestly, I think the plastic isn't beefy enough (with enough opening and closing, the plastic molded on latch would fail for sure). I'm considering just getting some wood together and making one. I really only need a few 3-5 compartments. Then I can always fix it if anything breaks the biggest issue would be what size wood and hinges to use. They'd have to be smallish to keep it a decent weight I think.
I agree with jbfan, small tackle box. Cheap and easy. I have two.
Code05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #10

http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net....aspx?a=224613

This might suit you..