Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Question about series wiring.

I am taking a class and the instructor had us wire a parallel circuit tonight. Next class we are wiring series circuits. We have to wire 4 ceramic lights and switches and have one light on all the time. I think i have it down but i just want to see if my theory is correct. From the feed i will take my hot and bring it into the first box than splice in a wire to feed the switch and a pigtail to go to the light from the hot from the feed. Now from the switch run a wire to the neutral and splice that to the positive going to the other ceramic and pigtail for the first cermic on the silver terminal screw. so basically the switch when closed will not allow the light to turn on. And so on and so on with the wiring. so basically with all the switches open the lights will all be on but will not light to full capacity. But when all the switches are closed the light that will be on all the time will have full power.

Chevyman30571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #2

Question about series wiring.-bad-wiring.jpg this is what i am talking about just in case my words don't make sense

Old 02-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Um, if the little rectangle is a switch, when you close the switch, you will have a short circuit and trip the breaker EDIT: no you won't. I'm getting tired tonight. give me another minute I'llbe back

to start with, explain (slowly as I am old) what you want to do first.How many lights, switches, and what controls what.

oh, and your lights will only burn 1/2 bright if they are rated the same voltage as the supply and they are of the same wattage. In a series circuit (which is what you have drawn) the voltage is split between the loads. If both the loads are equal resistance, each would recieve 1/2 the supply voltage

once I re-read your post and understood (mostly) what you are trying, yes, when the switch is open, the lights would be 1/2 bright (if they are the same wattage/resistance) and if you close the switch...

well, you have a series parallel circuit then. the switch and associated wiring does impose some resistance. Theory says you would still have current flow through the lamp. Without some figures, it is impossible to determine just how much current through the lamp.

Last edited by nap; 02-25-2010 at 10:47 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #4

ok 5 lights total. 4 of the lights will have a switch controlling them and one light will be on constant. I know that the lights will burn half as bright. It is a lesson on series wiring. Hope this helps. LOL it happens I am tired also. Thanks for the quick response though. I have made series circuits before just never had a switch thrown in.

Last edited by Chevyman30571; 02-25-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #5

120 volt circuit. 60 watt bulbs
Old 02-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #6

Do you know a way to make it all series? Or is this impossible?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

not to run off but the mind is tired and the body weak and about the only thing that makes sense to me tonight is "go to bed".

Not that I will but that still doesn't make for a clear mind. If nobody else picks up on this, I'll take a look tomorrow.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman30571 View Post
ok 5 lights total. 4 of the lights will have a switch controlling them and one light will be on constant. I know that the lights will burn half as bright. It is a lesson on series wiring. Hope this helps. LOL it happens I am tired also. Thanks for the quick response though. I have made series circuits before just never had a switch thrown in.
in regards to the picture you showed above...if the box is a switch and is parelled to four lights then yes it will work the way you have it wired. Your switch will control a short circuit. With the switch open it will be a normal series circuit...once you close it a short will be introduced which will effectively bypass the four lights that are parelled to the switch...in both cases your light on the right side will always be lit

and yes with all lights on they will be dimmer...but once the switch is closed the light on the right will be much brighter

joseph2293 is offline   Reply With Quote