Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #1

Share |

Question about removing a screw type fuse box...

My wife and I just bought a house and have almost completely finished the renovations. The last thing we need to do is paint the outside and remove an unsightly an useless fuse box on the outside, that has 2 screw type fuses. The box is on the same circuit with a couple recepticles and my porch light. The same circuit also runs into our new electrical panel in the basement. What is the best method for removing this box? First thought was to remove the box and wire nut the wires together, completeing the circuit, cover the hole and put a shutter over it, for easy access in the future. What would be some other options? I prefer to do it myself, not because i do not want to pay someone but because I know I can do it if someone tells me what I need to do. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

OmegaBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Even easier option, is to put in place a waterproofed outlet to allow Christmas lights, or other utilitarian necessities to be used.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #3

I never even though about that. Do they make outlets that fit flush against siding? We have shutters that we would like to install and the box is currently in the way. If I use this option can I attach the shutter on a hinge and attach a hook to keep it secured when its not in use.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Yes, but the waterproof cover will still stick out. As for the hook, I would not, unless you want to have a short happen during wear and tear of the hanging cord, unless you use a ziptie to hold it. As for the Shutter, are you talking about some type of cover, unless it fits it, I would not do it for cosmetic reasons.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #5

You might want to consider using an Arlington InBox. It won't stick out as much as a bubble-style in-use cover.
Matsukaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

I like that, especially with the slid on In-Use cover.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:25 PM   #7

I was talking about a window shutter, like the wood shutters. I was thinking about using a small hook like you would use on a screen door to keep the shutter from swaying in the wind. That way I can have the outlet, the shutter, and easy access. I do not think it would get in the way of any wires. The outlet would be closer to the center of the shutter and the hook 8-10" away.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #8

I'm not clear on what this fuse box is for?

Before doing anything...

I would want to know if it is connected to power?

Is it connected to a breaker at the "new panel"?
(And if connected to a breaker, I would look at the amperage of the breaker and wire size to be sure the breaker was correct - just in my looking at things...)

If it is connected to power, what happens when the fuses are removed? Do you lose power to something? What?

What type and amperage of fuses are screwed in? For example it may have been used for a window air conditioner. Sometimes "delay fuses" are used for these.

Anyway before messing with it, I would want to know where all the wires go. What it was/is used for...

I've seen fuse boxes directly connected to the main power before. So I wouldn't want to just remove the fuses if they were still being used to protect some of the wiring...
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:51 PM   #9

The fuse box is wired to the main panel. When I remove one of the fuses, I lose power to two recepticles in the living room and my porch light. The same happen when I flip the breaker in the main. The fuse box has (2) 30amp fuses. The fuse box looks like it was original to the house (built in 1930).
Old 09-15-2008, 10:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaBunny View Post
The fuse box is wired to the main panel. When I remove one of the fuses, I lose power to two recepticles in the living room and my porch light. The same happen when I flip the breaker in the main. The fuse box has (2) 30amp fuses. The fuse box looks like it was original to the house (built in 1930).
And what happens when you remove the other fuse?

What is the amperage on the breaker in the basement?

Do you know the wire size of the wires in the fuse box?

Do the fuses look like this...
(Delay fuse)
http://images.orgill.com/200x200/4181467.jpg

Or like this...
http://www.skipwith.ca/images/house_fuse.png

Also can you trace where the wires go by looking in the attic, crawl space, or basement?

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote