DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Question about proper way to wire this circuit

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  itsnotrequired 
#1 ·
Okay, hopefully this is a straightforward and easy answer. I thought I was sure I knew how to work this out, but then as I looked again, I am second guessing myself. Nonetheless, I am a fairly new DIYer when it comes to electrical anyway, have done loads of research on the subject, am fairly intelligent and am being extra cautious.

So far I have added several outlets to existing circuits that are being run parallel so easy stuff there. This is my first new circuit addition. Nomrally with all my other projects, the circuits are in a line with a beginning and an end point. This one has that too, except I am tieing in one outlet from the basement that is actually way to the right of the last outlet upstairs. So, here is the diagram and my question...

I was thinking I could tie the basement outlet wo the parallel circuit coming from upstairs in a juntion box. If I do this, my question is how I wire it. Would I simply connect all 3 hot wires together(this include the line coming in from upstairs, the basement outlet, and the one going to the panel), the three white wires together, and then the three grounds together? I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
Mike

EDIT: The basement outlet is actually MUCH further to the right than it looks in the picture.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes you can use a junction box there. Just remember that the junction box will have to remain accessible.

Also you're correct about wiring all blacks on one nut, all whites on another, and all grounds on a third. If the junction box is metal, you'll also need to connect the box's grounding screw to the grounds. This is commonly done with either a pigtail or wrapping one of the ground wires around the screw before going to the wirenut with the rest.

#4 ·
Yes, and because I hadnt planned on adding the one in the basement when I remodeled the upstairs and I have brand new shiny walls us there. I preran all of the outlets up there and brought it throught the wall/floor to the basement but never took it to the panel because that was getting switched out after I did the walls. So getting the basement wire up the the upper level recepticle is NOT something I want to even try to do right now, hence the question about the junction box. Running the wire coming from upstairs all the way into the basement recepticle all the way back out to the panel seems asinine and unneccesary, not to mention the cost of the extra wire isnt something I want to fork over if I do not have to.

Mike

#6 ·
Thanks to both of you. I was pretty sure it was all good, just got a littl concerned with I realized this was not on the same straight path as the other circuit above. And he junction boc will be fine. It will be attached just below the floor joist on the wall and when I finish the basement it is high enough that I can have a drop ceiling, so we should be all good there. Thanks again.

Mike

#8 ·
all receptacles on a given circuit are wired in parallel, regardless of the path the wires take. you could go from the breaker to the furthest one away, then wire back to the one closest to the breaker, then go to one in the middle, etc. this of course presumes that at each receptacle, the black (hot) is always attached to the gold screws and the white (neutral) is always attached to the silver screws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.