Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #1

Share |

Question about a power protection solution for AC/DC Converter

I know very little about anything electric related with the exception of some knowledge of low voltage stuff. Here's the situation:

My mom has a couple knitting machines that each include a small "computer" and motor. The equipment is proprietary and therefore expensive. It is worth spending money to have it behind some sort of power protection (UPS or conditioner or something). Here are the specs that my dad gave me, I have know idea which are important:

The knitting machine is 26 watts and output is 1.5 amps.

The computer part (board) draws 5 volts dc current and the machine mechanism part (I think this refers to draws 9.5 volt dc current.

The ac/dc converter goes from 110 ac to 9.5 volt dc.

I think the total draw is 1.5 kva.

We have an extra Cyber Power brand UPS laying around (and it's almost brand new). Don't know the specs off the top of my head but I can certainly locate. Anyone have suggestions? would this kind of UPS work?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pete

jpfulton248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #2

A UPS that has the battery powering the equpment all the time while the AC current charges the battery offers a lot of surge and spike protection although it is not perfect.

The more common kind of UPS has AC power for the equipment and a switchover to battery power in the case of power outage. It is not quite as good at providing surge and spike protection.

You also need to be careful that the UPS delivers a "clean" or pure sine wave AC.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #3

Okay, right and isn't there something to consider about specifically what kind of output is coming from the UPS in terms of amps, voltage, watts, current etc? (I know almost nothing about what those words mean). I have a lot of reason to believe that it's a pure sine wave because there is a software package that I've used to monitor the UPS and one of it's features is specifically to switch to battery if there is too much "electical noise" coming into the UPS... I would think then that the assumption is the UPS has less noise on its output (which I'm guessing means a purer sine wave). Or maybe I'm completely wrong. What about a power conditioner like people use for home theater equipment? Would that be better.

Thanks for your speedy response!
jpfulton248 is offline   Reply With Quote