Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #1

Share |

Question about ITE pushmatic load center

Ok, so I'm in the process of getting estimates to have a heat pump and electric furnace/air handler w/15kw element installed at my house.. I currently have 200amp service in a Gould ITE Pushmatic load center. My question is, I have one double slot open, and need three (two 2-pole 60 amp,and one 2-pole 30 amp). Am I better off to spend the money and buy two of the 'combining' breakers, therefore opening up the other double slots I need, or installing a sub-panel?

If the sub-panel is the way to go, how exactly would I go about doing this? I'm fairly confident in my 'handy-man electrical' ability, but wanted to ask a few places and make sure I know what I need to buy. Thanks in advance for any help!

countryboy26047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Sparky

honestly, you should replace the whole panel. It will likely be cheaper than buying the pushmatic breakers

Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #3

In order to due so, if I'm correct, (please correct me if I'm wrong) but do you have to have the power company shut off your power to do this? I will do some pricing and see which route I'm going to go but thanks for the idea, honestly hadn't thought of doing that lol.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #4

Well, after countless hours today staring at this computer monitor, I've spent the last 3-4hrs just researching everything electrically related to getting my split-system installed...

I'm going to call the power company tomorrow and find out any requirements needed to change out the load center (i.e. any permits needed, can I just pull the meter and re-install when done, does the work have to inspected prior to restoring power etc.) I now know that in order to change the panel, I have to have the power shut off. However, since I already have 200amp service, I don't have to change any wiring (specifically the line coming down the power mast) so I'm hoping they'll tell me they don't need an inspection so I can just do the work myself. If I have to pay someone to do it, well, I guess I'll be shelling about $200 for pushmatic breakers for now since I can't afford the $175 for the new service panel plus whatever charges would go with installing it.