DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Question about exposed junction box on floor & code

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  J. V. 
#1 ·
This galvanized junction box is in the middle of our closet floor. The wiring and associated piping was originally in a wall that we move out two feet to make a walk-in. The floors of this building are stone and concrete so when the electrician started whining about what to do with the wiring, I told him not to sweat it since this area was to have hanging clothes above it and this was the result.

What you're looking at is where two steel pipes come up out of the floor. One comes from the fuse box (where the red & blue wires come up on the right) and one (where they disappear on the left), going to some in-wall outlets.

Now our plans have changed and this junction box is going to be in the middle of an access area. To lower it's profile in order to build a shorter "hump" around it, I was hoping to use this box on the right along with the thinner, square routing that comes with it.

My questions are, is this going to be to code? What if I don't use the metal back plate (so the bottom surface is the exposed concrete, below the parquet), is that a safety, non-code, issue? Finally, is there any issue with me snipping the red & blue wires and capping them to make it easier to remove the box?

The red & blue wires go to outlets in the bedroom wall or they may be the new wiring put in place when we added a dedicated 110 line for the air conditioner. the capped wires go to the new closet wall which has an outlet and one overhead light.

See less See more
#3 ·
I believe it is a violation of the code to have any sort of obstruction in an occupied area (closets included).
It would also be a violation of the code to put the box face down without its cover, using the stone/concrete as the "cover".

Was this box located inside the wall space prior to moving the wall?
if so, that was a violation.

I am sorry, but I would not accept anything less than rewiring the circuit, moving the J-box to an acceptable location; one where its cover can be removed for access without removal of any building part (wall, floor, ceiling, etc).

As 220/221 asked; Do you have access from below?

FW

#4 ·
No access from below. It's poured concrete with with 2-3" stones in it. I've ruined my Milwaukee hammer-drill when working on the bathroom floor.

The current J-box situation has already been inspected and passed code. Originally, everything was in the floors or (concrete block) walls. There was no J-box before.

I'm just trying to figure out if I can reduce it's presence safely but I guess not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.